Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Been outside ALL day long and just got in at 7pm. Boy, am I bushed! Went to put the chooks in the run, and notice Olivia is missing. I knew I'd seen her on and off all day long, but now she is nowhere to be found. Getting a little worried, I walk around the property calling her. Checked the garage just in case, nothing. Last thought was to employ my dog Otho. Before I got really bad with the arthritis, we were working in Schutzhund, and he was really good in tracking. Haven't done it in years, but as soon as I asked him, "where's my chicken?? Suche!", he starts off. We come around to the lean to where I plan to build the run for the Wheatens. I did not get to till the garden spot today, so the tiller is under there covered in a tarp. Otho sticks his head in there, and his tail starts to wag. Next thing I know, the tarp jumps straight up in the air, I screamed, the dog backed out, and here comes Olivia!!
gig.gif
Otho looks at me like, "hmm, is that who you were looking for mom??" Yes, GOOD BOY!! I notice now though, he keeps looking at the tarp, back at me, and then back at the tarp. I pull the tarp back, and I guess I now have my very first wanna-be broody hen!!! THIRTEEN EGGS IN THERE!! Nice ones too. She ran back to the run, and was glad to be there, but tomorrow when I get the tiller out, I think I'll make a pen for her to see if she'll set them. Any other suggestions from you broody owners?? This is a first for me!

Last edited:
Lisa, I forgot to tell you that Home Depot has vegetable plants (the Bonnie vegetables etc) on sale half price today. I got some on Friday and the sale is supposed got through today I think. I bought some herb plants too and they took half price off them too.
I am not sure if all the Home Depots are doing this throughout the U.S but it looks like it from the website....
I got some black cherry tomatoes that already have tomatoes on them and golden cayenne peppers and purple and white long skinny type egg plants.

I know what you mean Vicki, I feel sleepy today too and I have cleaning to do because we have company coming tomorrow from out of state grrrr. I really need to get some coffee in me. I am sooo unmotivated today. My little Sebastapol goslings are getting so big already. The male is almost as big as a full grown Marans hen!! I had to take his leg band off.

Bad rouge birdies. I am glad I resisted the urge to thin out the corn and okra...since that hen did it for me. Just not the way I wanted it lol.

That ain't right! Telling me about a sale on the LAST day... What are you thinking ? ? ?

So, I've been outside working all day and am just now getting a chance to read this post!

My garden is pretty full right now... I've plant around 30 tomato and 30 pepper plants. Plus, green beans, corn, cucumbers, and watermelons. I don't have the room for any squash this year. I added potatoes and onions to the garden instead... I am contemplating planting some sweet potatoes, if I can SQUEEZE some space out of the garden...

I've got lemon basil, cinnamon basil, oregano, and sage planted too. I always have rosemary and chives going. I could use some Thyme...

That ain't right! Telling me about a sale on the LAST day... What are you thinking ? ? ?

So, I've been outside working all day and am just now getting a chance to read this post!

My garden is pretty full right now... I've plant around 30 tomato and 30 pepper plants. Plus, green beans, corn, cucumbers, and watermelons. I don't have the room for any squash this year. I added potatoes and onions to the garden instead... I am contemplating planting some sweet potatoes, if I can SQUEEZE some space out of the garden...

I've got lemon basil, cinnamon basil, oregano, and sage planted too. I always have rosemary and chives going. I could use some Thyme...

if you can find a place that carries a bush variety of sweet potatoes they might be possible. Regular vining ones will grow up to 8' in diameter pretty easily

Well now I am confused..... Copper Marans are Gold Birchen? Why aren't the pullets penciled like the silvers? Does it just not work that way in gold? that would be pretty.

if you can find a place that carries a bush variety of sweet potatoes they might be possible. Regular vining ones will grow up to 8' in diameter pretty easily

I may just have to wait til next year to try them out... Maybe I will manage to plant less tomatoes and peppers... There is NO WAY I am enlarging the garden AGAIN!

I am flat exhausted and am heading to bed. DEBBI. if no one gives you broody advice, I will in the A.M.

Everyone have a good night !

Been outside ALL day long and just got in at 7pm. Boy, am I bushed! Went to put the chooks in the run, and notice Olivia is missing. I knew I'd seen her on and off all day long, but now she is nowhere to be found. Getting a little worried, I walk around the property calling her. Checked the garage just in case, nothing. Last thought was to employ my dog Otho. Before I got really bad with the arthritis, we were working in Schutzhund, and he was really good in tracking. Haven't done it in years, but as soon as I asked him, "where's my chicken?? Suche!", he starts off. We come around to the lean to where I plan to build the run for the Wheatens. I did not get to till the garden spot today, so the tiller is under there covered in a tarp. Otho sticks his head in there, and his tail starts to wag. Next thing I know, the tarp jumps straight up in the air, I screamed, the dog backed out, and here comes Olivia!!
gig.gif
Otho looks at me like, "hmm, is that who you were looking for mom??" Yes, GOOD BOY!! I notice now though, he keeps looking at the tarp, back at me, and then back at the tarp. I pull the tarp back, and I guess I now have my very first wanna-be broody hen!!! THIRTEEN EGGS IN THERE!! Nice ones too. She ran back to the run, and was glad to be there, but tomorrow when I get the tiller out, I think I'll make a pen for her to see if she'll set them. Any other suggestions from you broody owners?? This is a first for me!
awesome that your boy helped you find Olivia and that you will have more chicks soon if she decides to go ahead and stay broody!
I'm with you on being worn out for the day...I was outside for most of it too working in the garden...I made some pretty good headway and am set up for more work this week too...I'm really enjoying being able to work outside again after all the back trouble...still have to take it easy, but its not as bad anymore!

OBTW - - Tomorrow is Day 21 for my FIRST hatch of the year.

I wasn't kidding when I posted last year that I don't sit glued to the incubator on hatch day!
It is too nerve wracking to me. Tomorrow, I will dip all my chickens and finish digging the trenches for the poultry fountains..

NEXT WEEK, I have hatching eggs coming in....so the incubators will get almost no down time.

Last edited:
OBTW - - Tomorrow is Day 21 for my FIRST hatch of the year.

I wasn't kidding when I posted last year that I don't sit glued to the incubator on hatch day!
It is too nerve wracking to me. Tomorrow, I will dip all my chickens and finish digging the trenches for the poultry fountains..

NEXT WEEK, I have hatching eggs coming in....so the incubators will get almost no down time.

dip all your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom