Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Flgarden~

I'm very excited ............ one of our clients gave me a Yellow Brugmansia yesterday!!!!! I can't wait for it to bloom!!!!

She schooled me on how to care for it and what to do for it in our climate so that I can enjoy it next year. Looks like I will have to make space for yet one more plant in the house to over winter. I keep telling DH we should really put in a green house at one end of our home and it will be dual purpose as we can use it for passive solar heat too. He usually just gives me the rolling eye look.

Heck, I told him I bet I could make it more than dual purpose...in the winter I could probably brood some Marans chicks in there as well and move one of my brooders out of his shop and give him his space back...you know I still get the rolling eyes look.
Better yet, put a hot tub in there and have all 3 goodies going at once!
gig.gif

Agreed, too bad about that comb on that boy, he does look like a very nice cockerel, sprigs aside. The girls are looking great too. I am very excited to see what they give you for eggs....can you make them grow up faster please????????
Yes, will hang onto the girls, they came out of decent eggs. I keep wondering if there is some correlation between poor hatches and funky combs?? How do I keep getting all these combs? Out of at least 10 different sources, I have only had two clutches born with normal combs, and one "clutch" was just Pip. Do I have a tattoo on my forehead I don't know about?
roll.png
I have named the roo Chester, and I do do wish those things would just drop off one day, but dream on. He is a real sweety too which makes it even worse...

Sure...I can get better pics later but these are zoomed/cropped from some I took yesterday...

Yes, there is either something else in the mix there, or she is carrying the recessive gene(s) for yellow legs. I wouldn't use her for breeding stock, it will pass on quickly.

I got a question for you guys( I figured out that I can ask this since all of you get sidetracked anyway
frow.gif
) How many of you use your Marans and chickens as a stress relief? I mean they cause stress sometimes but for me its a different stressor. I used to have tons of hobbies. Fishing, hunting, art and music etc. Then all of a sudden I just lost interest in all of it. Wife told me I needed to find another hobby. Never grew up around chickens. I got some even though she wasnt keen on the idea. Love it! It relaxes me. Specialy now that Im bout above my head with my 15 yr old Son!
barnie.gif
Chicken math is smacking me in the head as I want to smack him upside his head
th.gif

Yes, there is either something else in the mix there, or she is carrying the recessive gene(s) for yellow legs. I wouldn't use her for breeding stock, it will pass on quickly.
Ok, thanks :) I am not looking to breed marans, maybe I'll hatch out some crossbred chicks for olive eggers at some point, but mostly they will just be for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom