Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Some of mine have like a 5 o'clock shadow look to them. I just wondered about the term puffing, and to what extent it puffed?
gig.gif

G'Mornin ladies! oh, and gents.... Can anyone direct me to an egg color chart? I have some Cuckoo Marans eggs in the bator and as I've heard that they commonly lay on the lighter side of the Marans scale, I'd like to see what's what there. I got the eggs from my neighbor and one condition was that I not breed his line. Which is fine with me as I've got BCMs, but I'm still interested should I get any pullets if I'll have good egg color.

Also, SOMEDAY, my New Year's Day Marans are going to give me some eggies.... I just KNOW it! and when they do.... I'd like to know what number. (They'll all be 10s in my book, of course) corny, I know... too much coffee.... off to weed the garden. Have an AWESOME day!

G'Mornin ladies! oh, and gents.... Can anyone direct me to an egg color chart? I have some Cuckoo Marans eggs in the bator and as I've heard that they commonly lay on the lighter side of the Marans scale, I'd like to see what's what there. I got the eggs from my neighbor and one condition was that I not breed his line. Which is fine with me as I've got BCMs, but I'm still interested should I get any pullets if I'll have good egg color.

Also, SOMEDAY, my New Year's Day Marans are going to give me some eggies.... I just KNOW it! and when they do.... I'd like to know what number. (They'll all be 10s in my book, of course) corny, I know... too much coffee.... off to weed the garden. Have an AWESOME day!
www.marans.org The Marans Chicken Club USA sells them, so does the Marans of America Club. There are some folks out there with really decent looking Cuckoo egg color, but in general, they usually aren't very dark, especially those from hatcheries. Just curious why your neighbor doesn't want you to breed his line? And I bet by July or even maybe June, you will get some eggies from your girls!

Last edited:
Quote: I think that was a pretty quick response, actually!
I want to breed toward the SOP, but I'm quite sure that none of the birds I have will be there now. I don't want to cull them all! I've read the SOP, but I don't know the marans genetics. Is there anything written up on their genetic traits anywhere? I don't know if feathered legs are dominant or recessive, for example. How many genes affect them? Same for anything else. I can only play with the birds I have if I know what I'm dealing with. Otherwise, I'll call them dark egg layers and be done with it.

Oh, and I can't go to the marans.org site. My computer says it's contaminated, and blocks access.

Oh, and I'll wait on pics until I'm actually ready to cull birds. Right now, they're just growing.

Last edited:
I love the Silvers! You guys are killing me! I really need some of them now!
haha....are you going to be joining the ranks of working on the silvers? Mine come next week sometime. I went with chicks since they have a live guarantee. Figured it would end up being more expensive were I to try with batches of eggs trying to get enough to work with. I'm so excited!

Here are a few of my young marans, silvers included for gilavina

I think perhaps that last boy's a delaware. Looks like it to me anyways. There are a few delaware raisers that should be able to chime in and let ya know.
The silver gal is just gorgeous. I can't wait for my chicks. I turn into a little kid with every hatch and every shipment of chicks. I'm going to be doing some more clearing how tho to make life easier on me with everything going on health wise with my dad and caring for him. So, I'll probably be dropping about another 40 birds of various ages. I honestly can't wait. Now that I've made up my mind I'm just plain ready!

Back
Top Bottom