Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Then he very well may be a Birchen. Hold onto him as see how he feathers out.
Just looking at the photo, he looks like a gold birchen not silver. Which means you'll need some true silver birchen girls and a few generations of work to get some true silvers going. If he ends up having a nice body type, size and good comb with no red leakage, particularly on the wing bow, it may be worth it to sort out getting a few silver girls to put with him.

Vicki, I am CULLING in the cuckoos. I have seen several chicks with the gold popping up so they are all GOING ASAP! I know where it is coming from so I am going to sell both of them and then I will just have my blues and splash. Any hint of gold and they are not staying at my farm. I just don't have time to breed it out. I have been teased with some hope (dark eggs and feathered legs) so we will see tomorrow.
fl.gif

That is going to lighten the load in to the winter, but that means I need to start hatching.
hide.gif
clap.gif

Vicki, I am CULLING in the cuckoos. I have seen several chicks with the gold popping up so they are all GOING ASAP! I know where it is coming from so I am going to sell both of them and then I will just have my blues and splash. Any hint of gold and they are not staying at my farm. I just don't have time to breed it out. I have been teased with some hope (dark eggs and feathered legs) so we will see tomorrow.
fl.gif

That is going to lighten the load in to the winter, but that means I need to start hatching.
hide.gif
clap.gif
I hear ya....gold leakage in the cuckoos is a nightmare, esp when you think you have a beautiful roo and then boom, out of no where they have leakage. I'm sure you saw I sold my cuckoos on Tuesday...but um...well...I have a conundrum. I just got 13 in the same shipment with the silvers to make up the rest of the box. It was cheaper for me to go that way than to just get the silvers and pay the big sipping fee. So, the question is....do I keep or do I sell them? Yarg! The best part is that my original cuckoos sold at the sale went to a friend of mind in the poultry club I'm in, so he might want these chicks too...but the thing is...these chicks actually look pretty nice, and have leg feathering on quite a few of them.....ugh! What to do, what to do!
idunno.gif
th.gif

Just looking at the photo, he looks like a gold birchen not silver. Which means you'll need some true silver birchen girls and a few generations of work to get some true silvers going. If he ends up having a nice body type, size and good comb with no red leakage, particularly on the wing bow, it may be worth it to sort out getting a few silver girls to put with him.
Ok, phew! I thought it was me or my monitor. I never did get this new monitor right where I like it. Just so you gals don't think I'm a total nut job, that's what I said a page ago.
gig.gif

I hear ya....gold leakage in the cuckoos is a nightmare, esp when you think you have a beautiful roo and then boom, out of no where they have leakage. I'm sure you saw I sold my cuckoos on Tuesday...but um...well...I have a conundrum. I just got 13 in the same shipment with the silvers to make up the rest of the box. It was cheaper for me to go that way than to just get the silvers and pay the big sipping fee. So, the question is....do I keep or do I sell them? Yarg! The best part is that my original cuckoos sold at the sale went to a friend of mind in the poultry club I'm in, so he might want these chicks too...but the thing is...these chicks actually look pretty nice, and have leg feathering on quite a few of them.....ugh! What to do, what to do!
idunno.gif
th.gif
Start a pen of Golden Cuckoos! C'mon gal, you know you need another project!
gig.gif

Start a pen of Golden Cuckoos! C'mon gal, you know you need another project!
gig.gif
haha they just sent me regular cuckoos with silver, no goldens. Although a couple of weeks ago had offered to send a few goldens too, but I just have no room at the moment for new colors. My plans to build have been tossed down the crapper with everything going on. Sigh.

Are marans an especially docile breed? I just got some chicks (blue copper and black copper) and they are so calm. <3

Back
Top Bottom