Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Come on babies!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
wink.png
, we are waiting for some quail eggs to hatch too! First time for trying quail eggs- hatching them for a friend.

We are all set for Easter- have chicks and bunnies!

Was going to say that 15 out of 18 eggs I thought was a great hatch. I did things a bit differently this time due to the goose eggs being in there and needing higher humidity than the chicken eggs. I kept the humidity at 60% the entire incubation, plus everyday I had to cool the goose eggs and mist. I also cooled the chicken eggs at the same time as they were in the same tray and I did not want to take the time to handle all of them to move to another tray, so I was lazy. They also got the added over spray from misting the goose eggs. Guess it didn't hurt them one bit.
I am also running this hatch the same way because of the goose eggs in there, hope that this time it works just as well.

thanks ;) , we are waiting for some quail eggs to hatch too!  First time for trying quail eggs- hatching them for a friend.

We are all set for Easter- have chicks and bunnies!

YAY!

Mountain Mel called me just a little over a month ago and asked if I would hatch about 150 quail eggs for him........I thought that I would have heard back from him by now but he might be having a problem getting that many eggs. I hatched quail one time and they are soooooooo cute, but they are stinkin' fast little buggers. :lol:

YAY!

Mountain Mel called me just a little over a month ago and asked if I would hatch about 150 quail eggs for him........I thought that I would have heard back from him by now but he might be having a problem getting that many eggs. I hatched quail one time and they are soooooooo cute, but they are stinkin' fast little buggers.
lol.png
I was told they pop like popcorn and then start moving
lol.png

All this hatching talk..... I just had a hatch of the eggs that were from the Dk Blue Roo from Pink that died. I got 7 chicks from him. I also hatched my first chicks from those REALLY dark eggs and they were just fine, nothing odd in the coloring of the chicks so I was happy about that part.... feathered legs was not great, but they did have some feathered legs.

Just wanted to let y'all know... my dad broke his neck. He has no idea when or how and he is doing fine now. He is going to be having surgery this week I think, but still waiting to hear from the Dr. They are going to take bone from his hip and fuse it in his neck and use pins and wire to stable it. I hope they don't do anything to MOVE it
barnie.gif
He will be 80 in April so this is kinda scary on several fronts. Dr. don't know why he is not already paralyzed.

Just wanted to let y'all know... my dad broke his neck. He has no idea when or how and he is doing fine now. He is going to be having surgery this week I think, but still waiting to hear from the Dr. They are going to take bone from his hip and fuse it in his neck and use pins and wire to stable it. I hope they don't do anything to MOVE it
barnie.gif
He will be 80 in April so this is kinda scary on several fronts. Dr. don't know why he is not already paralyzed.
Oh my word...I will be thinking of your & your Dad!
hugs.gif

All this hatching talk..... I just had a hatch of the eggs that were from the Dk Blue Roo from Pink that died. I got 7 chicks from him. I also hatched my first chicks from those REALLY dark eggs and they were just fine, nothing odd in the coloring of the chicks so I was happy about that part.... feathered legs was not great, but they did have some feathered legs.

barnie.gif

ouch that is scary... I wish you guys lots of luck for a good outcome..

Hello everyone,

Can anyone steer me in the right direction...I am looking for some Black Copper Marans fertile hatching eggs. I am in upstate New York and I travel between Binghamton and Norwich daily. What is the success rate for ordering from online sites?

Interesting! Let me know what happens when you move them back in with the splash. I thought their little worlds were turned upside down when I moved them into individual pens, by themselves. Chickens have such unpredictable behaviors sometimes. Who knows what triggers them to do certain things. One of my Ameraucana hens inexplicably started picking on an Orloff that she had been with for months. She would run clear across the pen to get the Orloff, who was doing her best to be submissive and avoid the Ameraucana. I have no idea why she suddenly decided she didn't like that Orloff, but I like her, so I moved the Ameraucana in with the Black Copper Marans since I was thinking about hatching some olive eggers anyway. That really shut her up. Now she spends all her time on the roost avoiding the other birds, and is still up there, even though now there is only one Black Copper hen in the pen with her. Like your hens, it will be interesting to see if the behavior starts up again when I move her back into the layer pen where the Orloff is.
I think putting them up by themselves isn't enough of a "turning their world upside down" event - when they have to reestablish pecking order, though, it is. I'm curious to see if the feather picking off the cock bird starts back up again this weekend when I return the two girls, and I have been considering moving them one on Saturday and one on Sunday just to change it up even more; however, I most ALWAYS try to move 2 females together so they have a buddy. I'll definitely report back on what happens!

Back
Top Bottom