Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

My Marans...my blue 'Stormy' is my favorite out of my flock!

Next is 'Snow' the one the 'Breeder' said is a throwback

And then we have 2 Black Marans (hoping they aren't Roos)

Hi! I just hatched out a few blue copper marans three weeks ago and I was hoping that you guys would be able to help sex them. I know they aren't up to standards, I only want them for the eggs.
I didn't learn about the wing feather sexing until it was too late so I'm just guessing now. I took pictures of the tail feathers, but I'm not even sure if that tells you anything.

Thank you so much!
big_smile.png

And #4. My blue splash.

They do look pretty rooish to me. Always a little hard to tell still at that age. The second pic would be a blue copper and is showing way too much coppering in his chest. I am wondering if he is mixed with something....It isn't typical for them to present that much copper on the chest especially not that young.

Last edited:
The second one is a lot bigger than the first, and both were black as babies...we got them locally when they were a day old. The 'breeder' we got them from showed me the wing test, and thought they were both pullets from that, but at this point I really think the one with Copper is a Roo, which is sad cause I can't keep Roos where I live.

I think the wing test is pretty variable just depending on the line. According to the wing test my Cuckoo male chick was supposed to be female and he is definitely male lol.

The blues, especially darker blue Marans can fool you. Sometimes they can be very dark even when they feather out and will look black especially in the shade lol. Once they get all feathered out you can look at their undercoat feathering around their legs and stomach area and the blues will have a blue or grey color vs the black coppers should have a black.

Here is a pic of two blue copper Marans cockerals. They are both blue but the one on the left is really dark and looks black almost especially in the shade.
900x900px-LL-1169c734_ZeusandAchilles.jpeg

Mornin all! I think I'm gonna give that flashlight I got for Christmas to use as a candler a shot tonight and check the eggs, they are 7 days in now. I have a too I want to check the fertility on, so hopefully it works.

Back
Top Bottom