Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

How exciting. I hope your flashlight works good and that you have good fertility. I have trouble seeing through some of ours and I need to get a much better light. I just don't wanna pay a fortune for one lol.

It is really hard to candle the eggs. I think I have one of those expensive ones, and it is still complicated. Work with what you have. I had two Black Copper Marans hatch from the incubator yesterday.
jumpy.gif

Thanks ladies! I made an adaptation on the end of the flashlight to concentrate the light more by making the viewing area smaller, so hoping it will work. My uncle bought one for himself and said so far he's been able to candle his Ameraucana eggs as good as if they were a light egg, so here's to hoping!

Thanks ladies! I made an adaptation on the end of the flashlight to concentrate the light more by making the viewing area smaller, so hoping it will work. My uncle bought one for himself and said so far he's been able to candle his Ameraucana eggs as good as if they were a light egg, so here's to hoping!

This is what my son came up with and it works really well.

Clearly the flashlight needed batteries. That is a 400 lumens FL and my 250 lumens works better with new batteries.

This is what my son came up with and it works really well.

Clearly the flashlight needed batteries. That is a 400 lumens FL and my 250 lumens works better with new batteries.

mines also a 400 lumens light and did something similar, but with a part from an old flashlight and it works great. Just got done candling. Out of the 60 Birchen eggs I picked up from Kansas, I left 42 in the incubator and am confident about most of them. A couple I left because it looked like they had started developing or are developing slower than the others. The roo I was worried about fertility on has some eggs still in the incubator, so happy about that. Luckily its not a Marans.

Back
Top Bottom