Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Feedback Please!!! I want to know if despite his comb having too many points and his tail angle is a bit high (these are faults I see in him), is he usable? He is 6 months. No white fluff yet (fingers crossed here). Love his slate legs and shank feathering.

What about her?

Appears to have broad shoulders.

The wind is blowing his tail.

Shape of her back? Love her feather edging which doesn't quite show up in these pics!

Thanks!

Feedback Please!!! I want to know if despite his comb having too many points and his tail angle is a bit high (these are faults I see in him), is he usable? He is 6 months. No white fluff yet (fingers crossed here). Love his slate legs and shank feathering.

What about her?

Appears to have broad shoulders.

The wind is blowing his tail.

Shape of her back? Love her feather edging which doesn't quite show up in these pics!

Thanks!
The female is kinda hard to see but I see that her tail is pinched, If these are not brother-sister I see no reason you could not breed them together. The comb points at this time would not be that important to me..

I have seven Black Copper Marans. Some of them have yellow legs, others have gray legs. Some of them have leg feathers, while others do not. I was wondering if this is normal. I know that the standard is different in France. Do you think I just have a mix of the two kinds? I got them as eggs and have just been breeding them together.

I got an Easter gift!!! what a shocker I collected eggs this morning and there it was.. my first marans egg from a pullet I hatched...
woot.gif

The surprise is that I wasn't expecting any such thing as both of the oldest ones are only 4.8months. Not sure which one it was yet, and it was little just like a new pullet egg. I have a cuckoo marans in the same pen but she is laying much lighter eggs and twice the size so it has to be the babies, all the others lay white pink or tan eggs...

What a great Easter present...
wee.gif
I will try to get a pic later but my *&)(!! computer won't read the camera card any more....

I have seven Black Copper Marans. Some of them have yellow legs, others have gray legs. Some of them have leg feathers, while others do not. I was wondering if this is normal. I know that the standard is different in France. Do you think I just have a mix of the two kinds? I got them as eggs and have just been breeding them together.
When we breed brother-sister like you are doing stuff that has been crossed in past will show. The yellow leg is not acceptable anywhere in the world for Marans.

I originally separated Twizzler and Spike because Spike was being very ornery, and so lucky Twizzler got to live in the big hens pen and spike got sent to jail. He has been on his own now for a little while, I don't know if his disposition will improve I haven't tried very hard i have to admit. Well yesterday i felt sorry for him being alone and decided to let him free range instead of the girls. Well he spent the whole day trying to get into the hens pen, and then wouldn't go home even after dark. I ended up scooping him off the hens pen wall with a rake and popping him back through his own doorway on the end of it.. He just kind of looked offended and gave me the evil eye... I realized the time has come when i really need to pick the best of the two and let one go. I have more boys coming up to age and it may be that one of them will be better than either of these two but I can't see keeping both of them now..

from my uneducated eye I see the following:

Spike has the looks, nice feathering and a nice tail etc; but he has some color problems and not sure if he is too mean.
He is not all that large but very broad.

Twizzer is a sweetie pie but has very poor feathering on legs and crazy tail issues. and one toe is curled slightly back (maybe from the incubator though i'm not sure). I like his color better though, and he is a big boy.. and also quite beefy

Please can you help me to decide who has to go... (you have seen these guys before but pics were not good)

Spike 1 (it looks like brown on his legs but it's just the camera, I checked
again after i saw the pic)

Spike 2

Twizzler 1

Twizzler 2

I don't have a rooster person to take them away so im not sure at this point where the loser will go but i'm working on it...

Last edited:
Mornin Don, How's the chicks coming along? Got more eggs in the incubator? I'm set to hatch by April 10th I believe. From what I could see, quite a few are developing well!
Hi Vicki, Got 10 BC chicks first hatch and looks like 9 for this weekend. These are all bred the same and I just do not like the leg feathering as it is very sparse. I like the heavy feathered Marans. I only get enough eggs for a few each week. The light sussex for the marans project are due tomorrow. Hope for enough to start the project.
I have been marking all the Marans chicks different so I can possibly do a study with them. I only wish they had more leg feathering as I will most likely cull all these later after they grow out. We have around 100 chicks all together. The incubator is full of eggs so should have the brooders full soon.

Hi Vicki, Got 10 BC chicks first hatch and looks like 9 for this weekend. These are all bred the same and I just do not like the leg feathering as it is very sparse. I like the heavy feathered Marans. I only get enough eggs for a few each week. The light sussex for the marans project are due tomorrow. Hope for enough to start the project.
I have been marking all the Marans chicks different so I can possibly do a study with them. I only wish they had more leg feathering as I will most likely cull all these later after they grow out. We have around 100 chicks all together. The incubator is full of eggs so should have the brooders full soon.
awesome! Well, except for the parts you don't like about them. What do you use for brooders? I don't think I've ever asked before. I need to get to town to rewire a couple of nice brooders I found in the haymount that I didn't even know my dad had. They'll be going on their maiden run this spring for sure. Can't ever have enough brooders!

Back
Top Bottom