Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Coccidiosis is not a germ spread disease, but rather lives in the ground and comes from the natural oocsyts that live in poultry intestinal tracts. When they get out of balance within the poultry, it causes them to get sick, the bonus is that once they have it, they develop an immunity to it.

Oh... I thought it was bacterial, you learn something new every day :)

I am in NE FL. I have been here 5 yrs now. I would have rather moved much further south. Dh and I both got job offers up here first and put a deposit on a house that we couldn't get back without a hassle. Then of course got offers in Sarasota right after we already put $ down on a house and signed job .contracts. I was so mad!! Lol. We are moving down further south at some point though because I want to grow my tropical stuff somewhere I don't have to haul stuff in and out of the greenhouse every winter. It will have to be somewhere zoned ag.

Last edited:
I am in NE FL. I have been here 5 yrs now. I would have rather moved much further south. Dh and I both got job offers up here first and put a deposit on a house that we couldn't get back without a hassle. Then of course got offers in Sarasota right after we already put $ down on a house and signed job .contracts. I was so mad!! Lol. We are moving down further south at some point though because I want to grow my tropical stuff somewhere I don't have to haul stuff in and out of the greenhouse every winter. It will have to be somewhere zoned ag.

I have a place in Luraville (20 mins south of Live Oak on Hwy 51). I use it for teaching classes but sometimes I just want to move up there, I love N. Florida but i can see how it would be tough to grow those flowers..

Hi all, I am a Marans newbie from Australia.

I have a question which is probably answered somewhere, but with 4478 pages I haven't found it yet. What is the estimated age that Marans live for, and how long do they lay for?

Just picked up my first couple of hens today, together with an aracuana (for those gorgeous olive eggs). Boy, do I have a long way to journey............

Cheers Sue

Back
Top Bottom