Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I just started woth the Marans and currently have a cuckoo and a wheaten. Looking to get some other colors. Ive also got eggs that are hatching right now. Any advice?

My guess is you have two pullets but even after raising BCM for 5 years they still surprise me!!! The first one is "mossy" in her colouring. With the assumption that she is a girl, they often lay really dark eggs but are not good for breeding (unless you are just raising dark egg layers for fun) or showing as the mossiness is not correct colouring as per the Standard of Perfection for BCM. Number two sure looks pullet to me but if you say the little tyke already has a few copper feathers coming in around the neck, that would indicate boy to me at this age.

CKinNC

The first chick is exhibiting mossiness, that's the speckles you were referring to. My guess is that chick is carrying the wheaton gene. The second chick looks more like a black copper should.

Thanks so much for your help! I think I could really get hooked on chicken genetics - my husband ought to be thrilled - less expensive than horses with much more (relatively) instant gratification. I can't wait to see how these two turn out. It's amazing to note the changes in their growth just from day to day!

Thanks again :)

Dang it lol I'm looking for a reddish egg laying hen heard marans are best bet is this true?
The red egg gene seems highly individual in dark laying breeds. I have a black marans hen that lays a very dark red egg. The bayhorse bonnie line of black copper hens seem to lay a medium to dark brown reddish egg so maybe if you can find someone that has that line and sells eggs.
I haven't figured out exactly how the red gene works with the dark layers but I am experimenting with my black hen right now. I am on my stupid smart phone right now lol, so not going to attempt to post pics but can later when I get home. If you look through my Marans pic album you can see there are some red eggs in there.

Dang it lol I'm looking for a reddish egg laying hen heard marans are best bet is this true?

I have a hen that lays reddish eggs. You mean something like this?

There's a large variance of color when it comes to Marans eggs and genetics plays a huge role in what you want/breed for.

Hello///so we had two BCM's hatch this past weekend. One has a bit of copper splashd on its head whereas the other does not. I know when feathered the copper around neck is a roo, does the copper on head indicate roo also?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom