Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have a hen that lays reddish eggs. You mean something like this?

There's a large variance of color when it comes to Marans eggs and genetics plays a huge role in what you want/breed for.
Beautiful egg!! Are those the ones you have been sending to the shows? What line of marans did the laying hen originate from?

I got an Easter gift!!! what a shocker I collected eggs this morning and there it was.. my first marans egg from a pullet I hatched...
woot.gif

The surprise is that I wasn't expecting any such thing as both of the oldest ones are only 4.8months. Not sure which one it was yet, and it was little just like a new pullet egg. I have a cuckoo marans in the same pen but she is laying much lighter eggs and twice the size so it has to be the babies, all the others lay white pink or tan eggs...

What a great Easter present...
wee.gif
I will try to get a pic later but my *&)(!! computer won't read the camera card any more....

Ok.. finally i got a picture of the celebrated Egg... i'm so happy about it. I think it's somewhere between a 4 and a 6 but not bad.. The camera always lies about the color so it looks darker in the picture than in real life.. but still!!!!

Here is the picture with the chick in question. sorry not a full body shot, at work and using what I have! It is the chick on the right looking comb forward. You can see the little copper above his right eye. His sister (?) is right below him/her. Does this copper indicate anything?

73177_10200730682689981_577124166_n.jpg

Here is the picture with the chick in question. sorry not a full body shot, at work and using what I have! It is the chick on the right looking comb forward. You can see the little copper above his right eye. His sister (?) is right below him/her. Does this copper indicate anything?

73177_10200730682689981_577124166_n.jpg
It is a copper Marans, guessing a roo but not because of the spot. I would think pullet can have that too. He has a big comb for a new baby so I think roo.

Beautiful egg!! Are those the ones you have been sending to the shows? What line of marans did the laying hen originate from?
Thank you Zanna and yes they are.
big_smile.png

My girl, VenRed, is from Bev Davis/Adamson line. She's the best of the best I've hatched out last season and now I'm incubating her eggs.
droolin.gif
I'll be doing as many as I can of hers this season. I just love the color and shape of that egg and she's very consistent laying them as well. Her conformation is pretty good, excluding a bit of pinched tail. Her hackles are dark. I really like that, although, I wish it were more abundant. I'm very anxious to see what my cockerel and her throw. Today is day 9 of incubation. It's going by soooo sloooowly.
th.gif

I got an Easter gift!!! what a shocker I collected eggs this morning and there it was.. my first marans egg from a pullet I hatched...
woot.gif

The surprise is that I wasn't expecting any such thing as both of the oldest ones are only 4.8months. Not sure which one it was yet, and it was little just like a new pullet egg. I have a cuckoo marans in the same pen but she is laying much lighter eggs and twice the size so it has to be the babies, all the others lay white pink or tan eggs...

What a great Easter present...
wee.gif
I will try to get a pic later but my *&)(!! computer won't read the camera card any more....
There's nothing quite like finding your first dark Marans egg. Congratulations! It looks very pretty. I still get flutters everyday to see what my girls left me.
wink.png

Thank you Zanna and yes they are.
big_smile.png

My girl, VenRed, is from Bev Davis/Adamson line. She's the best of the best I've hatched out last season and now I'm incubating her eggs.
droolin.gif
I'll be doing as many as I can of hers this season. I just love the color and shape of that egg and she's very consistent laying them as well. Her conformation is pretty good, excluding a bit of pinched tail. Her hackles are dark. I really like that, although, I wish it were more abundant. I'm very anxious to see what my cockerel and her throw. Today is day 9 of incubation. It's going by soooo sloooowly.
th.gif
Are you breeding her to your boy that Wynette posted a pic. of a while back? He looked awesome as well! Good luck on the babies, I'm on my 5th batch already and hatching every 7-10 days. Just switched roos (single mating everyone this year) so after the next two batches (in the incubator already) will have a two week reprive of collecting eggs to make sure new Dad is for certain the Dad. Hoping to be finished up by June with at least 25 chicks from each pairing.

Are you breeding her to your boy that Wynette posted a pic. of a while back? He looked awesome as well! Good luck on the babies, I'm on my 5th batch already and hatching every 7-10 days. Just switched roos (single mating everyone this year) so after the next two batches (in the incubator already) will have a two week reprive of collecting eggs to make sure new Dad is for certain the Dad. Hoping to be finished up by June with at least 25 chicks from each pairing.
I'm not sure of the photo, but yes, my cockerel did come from her. He is a very nice looking boy.

Thank you for the well wishes on my hatch. It looks like you've got a very good hatching plan of your own.
wink.png
Best of luck on your hatchings. It appears you'll have your hands full!

Back
Top Bottom