Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Good evening, my BCM is 4 1/2 months old, when do they start laying.
HI shortzy007
welcome-byc.gif
and the Marans thread.

BCM usually start laying around 21 to 23 weeks old. Looks like you have about another month or so to go. I've had pullets lay at 21 weeks and some at 24. The waiting is the hardest part.

Good morning, everyone!

I just discovered that 2 of my chicks are mossy (mossiness?). I checked my 8 week old chick and discovered the same thing going on with that one.

The parents did not display this. Could anyone tell me where this comes from? Is there anyway I can tell if parents would pass this on when selecting breeders?

My 3 chicks display this. I sold 2 others and don't know about them, but is this a dominant thing that all the chicks from those parents would have?

The rooster and hen that I used are not related.

Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
I appreciate the info, I am a newby to keeping chickens, except for a lavender and a buff lace bahama, they are all different breeds. Can't wait to see an egg. We just had the annual Funky Chicken Tour in our city, and it inspired me in so many ways. We are not allowed Roosters in the city limits, so I will be be limited to buying fertilized eggs. Just the best darn hobby I have ever had.

A little while ago I asked for instructions for sanding my eggs and got no response. Trying one more time for advice. Thanks.
Hiya; I didn't reply as I've never done this - have never needed to...hen's don't sand their eggs, I'm not really sure why humans would want to (?)

Hiya; I didn't reply as I've never done this - have never needed to...hen's don't sand their eggs, I'm not really sure why humans would want to (?)
Wynette, I agree with you, why would anyone want to sand the outer coat on an egg. I have hatched several thousand without sanding. The trick to hatching eggs is to get the temperature and humidity correct and they will pop right out.

Good morning, everyone!

I just discovered that 2 of my chicks are mossy (mossiness?). I checked my 8 week old chick and discovered the same thing going on with that one.

The parents did not display this. Could anyone tell me where this comes from? Is there anyway I can tell if parents would pass this on when selecting breeders?

My 3 chicks display this. I sold 2 others and don't know about them, but is this a dominant thing that all the chicks from those parents would have?

The rooster and hen that I used are not related.

Thanks!
smile.png
I have found that mossy comes from using a male with copper in the chest. Once you work on a line and cull these out you should not a have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom