Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

If you have plans to breed, even if it is down the road, there are still basic things you will want to stay on top of now to keep them from becoming road blocks to your future plans. For example, birds with any sprigs, if left to do their thing will end up spreading like crazy and will overtake a small flock in no time flat and any ideas of breeding more seriously will have to be rethought, because once its in a flock, it ain't goin nowhere. Same for other issues such as split wings and etc.

Oh, thanks. I will get some photo's up soon. Hopefully they will be alright.lol. It's great when you find good helpful people
smile.png

Sorry, but what are sprigs?

Oh, thanks. I will get some photo's up soon. Hopefully they will be alright.lol. It's great when you find good helpful people
smile.png

Sorry, but what are sprigs?
sprigs are small protuberances (can be bumps or spikes) that appear on the comb. The most common place is at the end of the comb above the neck where extra spikes appear that are not part of the points on the comb.

sprigs are small protuberances (can be bumps or spikes) that appear on the comb. The most common place is at the end of the comb above the neck where extra spikes appear that are not part of the points on the comb.

Are they a breeders worst night mare?.lol.

Keep in mind my Marans are still only 22 weeks. So they are not even laying yet.
Also they are either getting new feathers or they are a bit stressed but they are not looking to flush in the feather department.

Are they a breeders worst night mare?.lol.

Keep in mind my Marans are still only 22 weeks. So they are not even laying yet.
Also they are either getting new feathers or they are a bit stressed but they are not looking to flush in the feather department.
haha no worries, my guess is that your birds are going through their juvie molt. The weather might also be a factor down your way. I'm not sure what season you are in at the moment, I would guess more fall like? I used to live in New Zealand and was the most bizaare thing celebrating Christmas in the middle of the summer.

It is good to be able to stay on top of any undesirable traits in your birds before you start breeding! The only way to go. Sprigs, Split wings and traits that are disqualifications can be hellish to deal with when trying to cull it out of stock. Its 1,000 times easier to be doing so along the way, even if not actively setting up a breeding program at the moment. I do have some spriged or other imperfect birds from different breeds I raise, for various reasons and they are relegated to my layer flock. There, they can be as imperfect as they like, and that way I don't have to worry about any of their negative traits and can just enjoy them for the beautiful birds they are and know they will not spread anything I don't want in my flock.

Here are the Blue Coppers I hatched 5 days ago. Got more blues than blacks in this hatch, last time it was the opposite. Guess it all evens out statistically!

Some close ups:

haha no worries, my guess is that your birds are going through their juvie molt. The weather might also be a factor down your way. I'm not sure what season you are in at the moment, I would guess more fall like? I used to live in New Zealand and was the most bizaare thing celebrating Christmas in the middle of the summer.

It is good to be able to stay on top of any undesirable traits in your birds before you start breeding! The only way to go. Sprigs, Split wings and traits that are disqualifications can be hellish to deal with when trying to cull it out of stock. Its 1,000 times easier to be doing so along the way, even if not actively setting up a breeding program at the moment. I do have some spriged or other imperfect birds from different breeds I raise, for various reasons and they are relegated to my layer flock. There, they can be as imperfect as they like, and that way I don't have to worry about any of their negative traits and can just enjoy them for the beautiful birds they are and know they will not spread anything I don't want in my flock.

Yes, it is about late Autumn. So yes my Marans are moulting. My other hens are very scruffy. Moult came early this year because of the heat.

I would like to know as much as I can, so that when I go to pick up my rooster I will know exactly what to look for and can avoid those problems all together.

Yes I'm sure if I to went down a looked at my layer flock there would be all manner of problems with combs, wings etc.lol.

Yes, it is about late Autumn. So yes my Marans are moulting. My other hens are very scruffy. Moult came early this year because of the heat.

I would like to know as much as I can, so that when I go to pick up my rooster I will know exactly what to look for and can avoid those problems all together.

Yes I'm sure if I to went down a looked at my layer flock there would be all manner of problems with combs, wings etc.lol.
Haha, to me, the layer flock is the place where I can shut off the critical eye and just enjoy the beauty. Usually my favorite culls from my breeding program will make it there.
Have you looked at the different Marans sites? The US one, Australian and French ones. They all have quite a bit of info and show examples of birds.

Back
Top Bottom