Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I read on this thread that someone had used a male with too much color and improved egg color?

I believe that was snowbird and if it is the post I think you saw, he said a male with too much color could be used to increase the hackle feather color on the Blue Coppers. Not egg color.

hello all I found my second marans egg today she is the only one laying out of 8 that is laying don't understand why she is the only one laying but I guess that's just how it is

hello all I found my second marans egg today she is the only one laying out of 8 that is laying don't understand why she is the only one laying but I guess that's just how it is

Congratulations on your new layer! Lovely egg!

No worries about the other girls and when they will start laying....they all have their own individual time clocks. Before you know it you will have eggs coming out of your ears. Enjoy!

I have a blue copper marans hen ( I don't think she is a particularly high quality hen as she has straw colored breast - that is bad right?) who was sort of a hand me down hen when someone moved. At the time I got her she had a bare back. I have treated for mites and lice etc and that is not a problem but still her feathers will not grow in. She is not getting over mated etc. Any idea what the problem is? I use high protein feed and also give black oil sunflower seeds as I'd heard they need more protein. But it hasn't made a difference. This has been going on for about 5 months and she has not stopped laying or slowed down during that time. Her eggs aren't terribly dark though.

I had another supplies I now have two young marans laying went back out to feed my chickens just glanced In the hen boxes and there was another marans eggs

You are right, Blue Copper is a dilute of Black Copper, but they are still Blue Coppers and you do not want to breed any Black Coppers that resulted from the blue to blue matings back into your BLACK COPPERS, they will mess with the black. Splash are Blue Coppers but referred to as Splash Coppers or Splash if coming from the solid BBS Marans varieties.
smile.png
No need to call Splash, blue splash as they are already blue. They carry 2 copies of blue (2 copies of blue is responsible for the splash look and white-ish feathers with darker blue splotches), blue only carries 1 copy of blue which dilutes black to blue.
smile.png

Yes, I understand. What I was asking about was this pullet with a blue background and darker blue splashes. I know the double dilution gets the white-ish background on a regular splash. I'm asking what the genetics might be of this pullet that is not a "normal" splash...she is a distinctively blue pullet with darker blue markings. I am wondering if this has another name and how, with the double dilution that gets splash, is she not white-ish. Would it be better to breed her to a blue copper or a black copper and for which reasons? I'm really new and really appreciate the opinions.

I picked up a couple blue Marans and a Marans mutt today. The 2 blues don't lay very dark eggs and have eyes that are way too dark - not the orange color most of my others have. One has decent leg feathering, one doesn't. The 'mutt' Marans, also blue, has great leg feathering, a pea comb, and muffs. All were extremely rooster-ridden and missing all of the feathers on their back. The lady I got them from has Araucanas, Marans, and EEs that must run together - so it will be interesting to see what happens with these. A splash Marans I got from the same lady a few weeks ago has good leg feathering but a nearly black eye color; she lays an odd rose/brown egg. For the record, I'm not looking to breed Marans or stick to SOP - I just like a variety of colors for my egg basket. I only have one black Marans pullet that lays an exceptionally dark egg. Again, poor leg feathering and an extremely dark eye color (really dark hazel). I will be working on Olive Eggers next spring.

Back
Top Bottom