Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

she's about a month old now and I named her Mocha (though Zena would've been a good one). Does she still look like a she to you guys? If not, what do you think, does Mocha work for a boy too? She/he has been playing mama to a brooder full of babies. They're now 1.5 weeks old and half a week old. She's/he's been wonderful with them, calling them to treats and food and showing them how to eat and drink and snuggling up with them all.

Last edited:
she's about a month old now and I named her Mocha (though Zena would've been a good one). Does she still look like a she to you guys? If not, what do you think, does Mocha work for a boy too? She/he has been playing mama to a brooder full of babies. They're now 1.5 weeks old and half a week old. She's/he's been wonderful with them, calling them to treats and food and showing them how to eat and drink and snuggling up with them all.

I think Mocha works for both boy or girls. I also have 2 BBMs that are about 6 weeks old and I also have 1 week old hybrids, but I haven't put them together, to much of a size difference. I think I have a boy and a girl, but who knows. My last hatch of BCM were both roos but thought the one was a girl until the copper showed up on his wings.

Oh, and which is a better hatchery Meyer or Murray McMurray?

I Don't have any good pictures right now but a quick Google search would bring up a good bit.

Most people on here would tell you not to purchase Marans from a hatchery but to search for and find a reputable breeder. Most hatchery birds are not going to follow the breed standard or carry the gene for the gorgeous dark eggs.

I have 1 week old french black copper marans. I *think* I've got 1 rooster and 1 pullet. But either way here's some pictures of some..

I think this one is a boy. No tail feathers yet, comb is bigger than the others and gold starting to come in on his wings.

I think this one is the pullet. I also have 2 blue copper marans but didn't get pictures of them. I think they're both pullets too. Have tail feathers, small comb, and no copper in the wings.

Back
Top Bottom