Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hello everybody, I live in south east Alabama and I bought my Black Marans from a local reputable breeder that I found out about in my dentists office. I have a rooster and a hen 1 1/2 years. She lays beautiful dark brown eggs. I'm saving her eggs to incubate. I also have 10 other hens, a olive easter egger who lays dark olive colored eggs, an Americana, she lays lighter green eggs, a silver laced wyndotte, she lays lighter beige eggs and the rest are golden buffs. They lay medium beige eggs. 12 chickens in all.

Hello everybody, I live in south east Alabama and I bought my Black Marans from a local reputable breeder that I found out about in my dentists office. I have a rooster and a hen 1 1/2 years. She lays beautiful dark brown eggs. I'm saving her eggs to incubate. I also have 10 other hens, a olive easter egger who lays dark olive colored eggs, an Americana, she lays lighter green eggs, a silver laced wyndotte, she lays lighter beige eggs and the rest are golden buffs. They lay medium beige eggs. 12 chickens in all. 

Welcome from Dale County Alabama neighbor!
I live in Skipperville and have a few chickens too.
I have cuckoo, wheaten, and blue coppers....and 3 other chickens (chicken math). White houdans, polish, silkies, brahmas, cream legbars, blue isbars, splash isbars, to name a few

I have 1 week old french black copper marans. I *think* I've got 1 rooster and 1 pullet. But either way here's some pictures of some..

I think this one is a boy. No tail feathers yet, comb is bigger than the others and gold starting to come in on his wings.

I think this one is the pullet. I also have 2 blue copper marans but didn't get pictures of them. I think they're both pullets too. Have tail feathers, small comb, and no copper in the wings.

I think you are correct!

Was her name Angie? If so that's where I got my Marans also.

Here are my 3-week old BCMs and their babysitter. I'm really hoping for two pullets out of the bunch so I can have some dark eggs. Two look very cockerelish, one is still looking like a pullet (the one in the back with her head down), but the one in the picture farthest to the left has got me wondering.

With my Orloffs I also have one little BCM but they are only a week and a half old, Of course, hoping she is a pullet too!

Here are my 3-week old BCMs and their babysitter. I'm really hoping for two pullets out of the bunch so I can have some dark eggs. Two look very cockerelish, one is still looking like a pullet (the one in the back with her head down), but the one in the picture farthest to the left has got me wondering.

With my Orloffs I also have one little BCM but they are only a week and a half old, Of course, hoping she is a pullet too!
I'm not the best at this, but my guess is 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.
The combs on the 2 closest to the waterer are pretty developed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom