Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Maybe someone will have an idea of what happened... One of my 2 french black copper marans suddenly died. She was 2 years old. Considerably smaller than her sister. I only had 4 hens and the other 3 seem healthy. But so did she the night before she died. I even gave her Canadian bacon as a treat that evening. Next day she was in perfect condition laying backwards in the nesting box dead. I'm so sad.

Maybe someone will have an idea of what happened... One of my 2 french black copper marans suddenly died. She was 2 years old. Considerably smaller than her sister. I only had 4 hens and the other 3 seem healthy. But so did she the night before she died. I even gave her Canadian bacon as a treat that evening. Next day she was in perfect condition laying backwards in the nesting box dead. I'm so sad.

I would look into a necropsy. There is no possible way to diagnose that without one.

Oh, I am so sorry. But I would agree with Bamadude necropsy would be probably the only way to know.

I am so sorry :(

That has happened to me too. For no reason ...
Last winter was the most recent ... walked into the chicken house and one of the young hens (less than one yr old) was lying on the floor... dead. No signs of any health problems.

When I hatch out chicks... I am often concerned about the smaller chicks that always stay smaller than the others... I have 2 this year and wonder if they will make it to old age

We hatched our very first set of French Black Copper Maran chickens this weekend. We had a 100% hatch rate! So exciting!! Of our 7 eggs, 2 yellow chicks hatched. The rest are black with black beaks. The yellow chicks have yellow beaks and brown markings on their backs. From what I have read so far, these may be Wheatens. I've never heard of Wheatens before now and I just wanted to get a little more info about them. Why did my Black Copper Maran eggs hatch the Wheatens? What would cause this? Are they Wheatens? Thanks!

We hatched our very first set of French Black Copper Maran chickens this weekend. We had a 100% hatch rate! So exciting!! Of our 7 eggs, 2 yellow chicks hatched. The rest are black with black beaks. The yellow chicks have yellow beaks and brown markings on their backs. From what I have read so far, these may be Wheatens. I've never heard of Wheatens before now and I just wanted to get a little more info about them. Why did my Black Copper Maran eggs hatch the Wheatens? What would cause this? Are they Wheatens? Thanks!
The yellow chicks are Wheaten Marans. Having Wheatens hatch from black copper parents means that the rooster and one or more of your hens has Wheaten genes.

Back
Top Bottom