Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Be right back......gotta go put the geese away and take Oatmeal the cat outside. In the middle of re-training the geese to go into their new coop, they didn't want to for a long time.....it's so cold I worry about them too, but they are doing good and training has only been going for about a week. I think they finally have it down. Wish they were as easy to train as the Marans. :D

I am glad you found your girl Pink!! Around here the water freeze quickly in the winter, so I water out of plastic feed pans. They are like a giant ice cube tray, the ice pops right out. My young birds like to stand on the side of the pan and if they are empty, they flip right over and trap them. It took me about 10 time of finding them under there to not jump, yell and pee a little. Now if they are tipped over, I expect to find one under it.
wink.png

Thank you!  They look lighter on my monitor than they do in person, colour in pics can be so deceiving either way!!  The pullets are laying a shade darker than Mom, very excited about that!

Pretty eggs....do you have them listed online? I have been watching them and I will say that the eggs that you have listed online are PRETTY! I've been comtemplating getting some from you. :D

Vicki~ I do have electrolytes on hand and will add to water in the morning. When DH and I went out to put the geese away I gave her a shot by beak from a dropper I perpared in the house before we went out. I'm hoping all will be okay. :)

Pretty eggs....do you have them listed online? I have been watching them and I will say that the eggs that you have listed online are PRETTY! I've been comtemplating getting some from you.
big_smile.png
Listed online, nope not me! Definitely won't consider selling any till I know what these new roos will be bringing to the table. I will not add more problems to what is out there already, yellow legs, sprigs, etc.!!! All the offspring will go in the freezer if that happens to be the case and I will start over yet again! Give me a couple of months, won't know what the egg colour of the pullets will be by then but should have a good idea if i've got problems or not.............

I don't have the original Roo anymore so can't do that mating. He had his issues but I got to know exactly what I was going to get and there were no DQ's. I do have 7 of his sons growing out and if I feel one is exceptional, may try son back over Mom. For the first time in 6 years I have too many options to play with :)

Vicki~ I do have electrolytes on hand and will add to water in the morning. When DH and I went out to put the geese away I gave her a shot by beak from a dropper I perpared in the house before we went out. I'm hoping all will be okay.
smile.png
Very good, birds are a lot more resilient than most people think. hopefully being rejoined with her friends and getting a good square meal and some water will set her right in no time.

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!! My little Birchen pullet that was missing is here and doing well, hungry and cold, but doing well.
ya.gif
wee.gif

She was under a medium to small sized rubbermaind tote that I use for putting their once a week special gruel into. It somehow fell off of the top of the old rabbit hutch where I had set it after they had eaten all their goodies stuff and rinsed out and managed to apparently fall right on top of her trapping her under it.

I didn't even think of moving it and looking under it for her.
he.gif

I picked it up tonight to put their yum yums in it and SURPRISE! I think I must of jumped about 6ft when she shot out from there the second I moved it.
lol.png

After my heart left my throat, I caught her and gave her the once over, she seems fine and wanted down immediately. She went directly to the food dish with the yummy gruel in it. I continued to watch her for a few minutes before coming in and when she finally finished eating she got a drink of water and then pecked her brother on the head.......me thinks this is a good sign.

Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts that she was ok........it worked, I feel so bad that she trapped for 2 days, atleast she seems ok. I will continue to watch her for the next couple of days.
That is wonderful news! Glad to hear she is found!

Back
Top Bottom