Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

The time is finally here, starting to hear some faint little peeps every once and a while. If all stays on track, should start hatching out this evening thru the night and into tomorrow.

The time is finally here, starting to hear some faint little peeps every once and a while. If all stays on track, should start hatching out this evening thru the night and into tomorrow.
My most recent hatch just finished, 18 out of 19 from 4 different pairings, all BCM. I hope your hatch goes as well!!!

My most recent hatch just finished, 18 out of 19 from 4 different pairings, all BCM. I hope your hatch goes as well!!!
That's a fantastic hatch rate! I sure hope this one turns out well! There were a handful I left in that looked to be developing a little more slowly, so will probably allow for a longer time after the bulk have hatched to see if they will hatch or not

That's a fantastic hatch rate! I sure hope this one turns out well! There were a handful I left in that looked to be developing a little more slowly, so will probably allow for a longer time after the bulk have hatched to see if they will hatch or not
This hatch finished up AM of Day 22, all were pipped Eve of day 20. My previous 4 hatches pipped late day 21, finished up day 23, same parental pairings, same incubators, go figure! All really good hatches though, I think it is the dandelions/garden greens and sprouted oats I have been feeding the breeders :) Really, I feel very lucky, even when I was a complete beginner, the Marans hatched well for me and the beginners luck has not run out (yet)!

looking from some advice--

I bought some black copper maran eggs off ebay (probably my first mistake) and they are hatching today. Most of these have deformities in their toes. The first one that hatched has fused 2nd and third toes. The others seem to have a short (nearly missing) outter toe. I have read up on the fusion remedy but will the others be able to survive? I had planned on selling some but I don't want to pass on poor genetics. Is this something I could have caused during incubation or it this a genetic problem?

FYI-I am incubating them with cream legbars and they are hatching fine with NO feet deformities.

Thanks

really that's from the shank feathering not a big deal if they have that short toes go along with heavy feathering. I never keep the ones I've hatched with the fused toes but I will use one with the short toe as long as there is no middle toe feathers. Do you have a SOP? That book explains the faults and the points they are worth or if they are a DQ anybody who plans on breeding poultry should buy one.

really that's from the shank feathering not a big deal if they have that short toes go along with heavy feathering. I never keep the ones I've hatched with the fused toes but I will use one with the short toe as long as there is no middle toe feathers. Do you have a SOP? That book explains the faults and the points they are worth or if they are a DQ anybody who plans on breeding poultry should buy one.

Well I was mostly worried about their ability to walk and balance and less worried about show quality birds. They seem to be getting around better now.

I have incubated my last 2 sets of Marans eggs with my goose eggs, I had a great hatch last hatch and am having an awesome hatch right now. They are popping like popcorn and no sticky shrink wrapped chicks.

I have taken the Marans eggs out everyday and cooled right along with the goose eggs for 15 minutes, they have also been misted just as the goose eggs and popped back into the bator.

I ran the last 2 hatches of Marans eggs at 60% humidity from day 1 to lockdown. Currently I am at 65% humidity in lockdown.

I will be trying one more set of Marans eggs along with another set of goose eggs and will do it identical to the last 2 runs, hope it gives me just as good of results.

Sounds like you've stumbled onto something that might help some others that have had trouble hatching out Marans in the past, I may try it when I incubate call duck eggs with the marans next time around,,, thanks for experimenting for everyone !

Best of luck to you on your next hatch !

Best of Luck to you too on your hatch !

Tomorrow is lockdown here, hoping for some Blue's out of this go around, switched Roos to increase the possibilities, time for a little color !!!

We need an update
pop.gif

Mine are due Friday.

Back
Top Bottom