Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

So my run and coop are connected. Once my girls started laying, they don't go in the coop anymore at night. They stay in the run at night. And it's 46 degrees outside windy and cold... Any thoughts?

Thank you Math Ace. My Roo is my icon...so take a look. I'll post more photos of him, as I think he is so handsome I have plenty. The off spring of he and the female Marans looks just like your photos. The older ones have the slight copper on their necks. I just don't know what to call them..mixed? or wheaten / black mix? Thank you for your knowledge and for sharing it with me! I do feel better about the possibilities. Too bad you can't do a blood test to see if they are prue breed. I posted then med. size so that you could study them better. Do you think he is Wheaten?
Yes he is a Wheaten. See the brown at the bottom of the wing? Your welcome.

Thank you Math Ace. My Roo is my icon...so take a look. I'll post more photos of him, as I think he is so handsome I have plenty. The off spring of he and the female Marans looks just like your photos. The older ones have the slight copper on their necks. I just don't know what to call them..mixed? or wheaten / black mix? Thank you for your knowledge and for sharing it with me! I do feel better about the possibilities. Too bad you can't do a blood test to see if they are prue breed. I posted then med. size so that you could study them better. Do you think he is Wheaten?
Also the legs are very light which is another tell tail wheaten sign. As for what to call them. Call them Wheaten/BCM mix or dark egg layers. Be honest with people you will be fine. I know you got good feedback on here not to long ago. No matter how hard it is to accept they will not be pure. You could change that by replacing the male, that is if the females are indeed pure BCM. A tomato may at times look like an apple from a distance, but its still a tomato.

Yes he is a Wheaten. See the brown at the bottom of the wing? Your welcome.

X 2 .... That brown triangle at the tip of the wing means it is wheaten or wheaten mix.

A black copper marans has black at the tip of the wing.... The tip of the wing is the part that is tucked under the saddle feathers in the photos of your male.

Thank you Math Ace. My Roo is my icon...so take a look. I'll post more photos of him, as I think he is so handsome I have plenty. The off spring of he and the female Marans looks just like your photos. The older ones have the slight copper on their necks. I just don't know what to call them..mixed? or wheaten / black mix? Thank you for your knowledge and for sharing it with me! I do feel better about the possibilities.

What to call him...

You can not call him a black copper marans because he simply is not!
He does look like a wheaten marans.
If he is a mix of wheaten and something else, then I would simply call him a barnyard mix.

So my run and coop are connected. Once my girls started laying, they don't go in the coop anymore at night. They stay in the run at night. And it's 46 degrees outside windy and cold... Any thoughts?
How many males do you have in the coop?
There is no reason for the pullets to stay outside unless there is something running them out of the coop.

Are the roosts higher in the run area? There has to be a reason they are feeling safer outside than inside.

Is there lighting outside and not inside? There has to be something different outside, something better than the inside.

Last edited:
I h
[COLOR=800080]How many males do you have in the coop?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]There is no reason for the pullets to stay outside unless there is something running them out of the coop.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]Are the roosts higher in the run area? There has to be a reason they are feeling safer outside than inside.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]Is there lighting outside and not inside?  There has to be something different outside,  something better than the inside.[/COLOR]

I have 4 hens : that's it. They all 4 stay out. Nothing new or unusual in the coop. I even put treats in there one night and nope, outside they are.
I'm baffled. We have always had a low light in the coop. We even lowered the wattage thinking maybe they want it darker. They are freeing me out. And nothing bad has happened in the coop.

E
I h
I have 4 hens : that's it. They all 4 stay out. Nothing new or unusual in the coop. I even put treats in there one night and nope, outside they are.
I'm baffled. We have always had a low light in the coop. We even lowered the wattage thinking maybe they want it darker. They are freeing me out. And nothing bad has happened in the coop.

Even in the hot summer they would go up / inside at night. We have no light in the run. They are not over crowded.

Back
Top Bottom