Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Oh man! not what I want to hear!!!! You think it is just a super slow developer?

Funny how us who can't seem to get good numbers are always in need of more Roos! I had 1 decent boy of 3 and lost 2 to predators. ..of course leaving me with my less desirable. Yes I think he's just developing a bit behind the other. Wattles seem to be pinking up in the pic but keep us posted. Usually so easy to point them out but every once in a while you'll have that one.

ep.gif
wOw...I shipped Marans eggs to Florida from Oregon and she is having an 85% hatch rate so far! Why doesn't this happen for me on shipped eggs? Oh yeah...someone else shipped them.

I have had a terrible hatch ratio! Seven eggs out of seven to hatch, the only problem is five were roos! Oh, guess i'll give it another try first of March.

I have had a terrible hatch ratio! Seven eggs out of seven to hatch, the only problem is five were roos! Oh, guess i'll give it another try first of March.

I know this is a controversial subject and it is not my intention to begin a conflict, but this is why I learned to caponize. Marans are very tasty meat birds.

Caponizing. Here is a link to a thread where you can learn a lot.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675898/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize

I would like to learn how to do this, and know some other people who would, as well. Have you learned/done it successfully on a lot of birds, or are you just learning? I am curious how easy it would be to learn based on reading, pictures, video versus having an expert right there with you, showing you what to do. I am not into abusing birds and don't have anybody local I know of who can do this.

I would like to learn how to do this, and know some other people who would, as well. Have you learned/done it successfully on a lot of birds, or are you just learning? I am curious how easy it would be to learn based on reading, pictures, video versus having an expert right there with you, showing you what to do. I am not into abusing birds and don't have anybody local I know of who can do this.
I'm on the exact same page. I would really love to be able to do this, but I would never want to try it without supervision of someone who already has done it a number of times, or watching an in-person caponization. Even then, I'm just not sure I would actually be able to bring myself to cut into a cockerel's body cavity without anesthesia...but, I really think it's an excellent idea, especially so for large, large fowl such as our Marans and (my) Jersey Giants.

Back
Top Bottom