Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Not the best photo ever but this is all I have on the computer. They were all yellow with feathering on their feet/ orange legs.Adult feathers coming in were a brown color.

Not the best photo ever but this is all I have on the computer. They were all yellow with feathering on their feet/ orange legs.Adult feathers coming in were a brown color.
OK, so they look like wheaten chicks, blue copper chicks would be grey/blue. I think you have two blue wheaten roosters. There are many pics of wheaten chicks and roos, just google wheaten marans. Great descriptions on the Marans Club of France website which also notes that they can be sexed on feather color at 4-6 weeks. Also, blue wheaten roos have a duck wing and blue copper roos have a crow wing which you won't see until adult plumage.

Are Cuckoo Marans suppose to have feathered legs?
I crossed Cuckoo roo with Copper hens and babies are feathering out with bronze wings and light feathering on legs.

I'm hatching my own Wheaten Marans for the first time.

I bought chicks last summer from two sources, and I've had hatching eggs shipped to me.

The chicks I got last summer are the ones that produced the eggs that are hatching right now. My goodness, these chicks are LIVELY. They are running all around in the hatcher before they are fluffed up good! I guess my makeshift breeder diet is working well, because I have some mighty vigorous chicks hatching out. And it looks like I'm getting a very high hatch percentage.

I uploaded a short video. This is an old styro bator I'm using as a hatcher and it's hard to see anything through the scratched up plastic windows. I'll take pics tomorrow after I get them in their brooder box.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom