Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote: Blue Coppers are out of the question. Getting the red out is almost impossible. You would have to use silver. It is a sex linked trait but you would need something else to start with I would think. I got a blue from a Single barred Splash Cuckoo x cuckoo they threw a few solid pullets since he would only pass the gene off to half. Not sure I could recreate that.... well I could I guess if I put her with my cuckoo roo and got some single barred males..... hum.... might do that too. She is with a birchen roo now and I might get some solid birds from that cross we will just wait and see.

Now I will have to move her again ..... I think I will make me some of those roos. Can't hurt to try again.

Blue Coppers are out of the question. Getting the red out is almost impossible. You would have to use silver. It is a sex linked trait but you would need something else to start with I would think. I got a blue from a Single barred Splash Cuckoo x cuckoo they threw a few solid pullets since he would only pass the gene off to half. Not sure I could recreate that.... well I could I guess if I put her with my cuckoo roo and got some single barred males..... hum.... might do that too. She is with a birchen roo now and I might get some solid birds from that cross we will just wait and see.

Now I will have to move her again ..... I think I will make me some of those roos. Can't hurt to try again.

I have some cuckoo chicks (not gold aka crele) that I could use to get solid blacks from. From there I could cross with blue copper and then spend 10 generations trying to get the durned gold hackles out of them lol.

Well, actually I could probably do it in 2 or 3 generations, but copper might be popping up for a while.

This is going to be quiet the science experiment. At this point I have NOTHING to start with. So the hunt still is on for me.. But I know .. If I keep looking I will for my dream. I found my Wheatens... the bunt for Blue will continue. Found a gal who is on here in CA. waiting to have her answer my PM.

Quote: If you know how to get the gold out would you let me know? I have a line of Silver Penciled Wyandotte bantams and can't for the life of me get it out no matter what route I go. I see improvement and then another problem pops up. But the red is still there.... even if you can't see it.

This is going to be quiet the science experiment. At this point I have NOTHING to start with. So the hunt still is on for me.. But I know .. If I keep looking I will for my dream. I found my Wheatens... the bunt for Blue will continue. Found a gal who is on here in CA. waiting to have her answer my PM.

I have yet to hear of a line that didn't have gold leaking so good luck.

Yo
If it is Blue it will be a Blue Copper Marans even if it does not show any copper as the Dad was a Black Copper Marans or a Blue Copper Marans.  It is a little confusing but some of it is the abbreviation BCM.  Stands for Black Copper Marans.

A blue roo to a black maran (referring to coppers of course) =
50% blue 50% black

Then u can save the blue offspring and do a blue x blue to get some spash too!!

I want solid blues too, not blue copper, but I realize those are going to be hard to come by. I'm thinking about trying to make my own.

yeah me too... I have some blues with no copper but they are blue coppers. I think one of the issues is how do you know that your blue marans
really is a true blue marans. I would ask to see pictures of the parents and all of their brothers and sisters to make me believe :).. LOL!!!!

Having a true blue marans would help out with so many creative projects :)

Back
Top Bottom