Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

General marans questions
do you have a closed flock
With no new blood?
for how many years?
and how many birds
I started with two different batches of BCM eggs( supposedly 1 Bev Davis & 1 Wade Jean) and for three years bred for the SOP cross mating five roosters with groups of four hens each. Then I brought in a a group of Splash Marans eggs selling the hens and keeping the best Roo. He makes the blues in the photo.

I would be happy with a breeding pair. Bought shipped eggs and hatched 1 male wheaten, 1 male blue, and a female cuckoo who lays a "not great" colored egg. The best I can make is funky Marans or olive eggers I guess

Both of my BCM girls laid their first eggs on the same day, yesterday at 24.5 weeks old. They might barely be a 4 on the marans scale but one is a bit darker than the other. The egg in front is from one of my production reds.

I doubt that they are pure marans. That one with the gold neck looks more like a sex link cross to me. If you want them just for egg color you got a little variety in color by the cross.

I doubt that they are pure marans. That one with the gold neck looks more like a sex link cross to me. If you want them just for egg color you got a little variety in color by the cross.
Yeah I'm not planning on breeding them thankfully but I certainly gave the place I got them an earful because if someone bought from them looking to breed them they will be very disappointed. Last time I saw their listing for them they had them listed as "black copper marans?" but I think they were selling them for the same price.

my GCM surprised me! She laid this egg (on the right) late yesterday; I found it cold in the nest first thing this morning. The egg on the right is from my welsummer.

It's 47g, and the poor thing had a prolapsed vent this morning. I fixed her up, and will be watching for relapses for the rest of her life. (Prolapse relapse???)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened to the cottage hill line of Marans? Don't hear of them anymore. Heard many had great egg color and type

I have a friend that knows Ron Presley personally. He said he would introduce me sometime. My wheaten maran hen is from the cottage hill line. I've always wanted to get some more of them.

Last edited:
That is so sad. It is as if they do not care to be in the know. Or maybe they are just chasing a dollar.I actually want a Mille or two to use as a broodies for hatching.
I got some from someone that were supposed to be Mille Fleur. At the time I was not very wise on the breed. I had one hen with a beard but her color is poor. No white at all. She is now currently setting on 6 of my full sized Easter Egger eggs. I don't even know where she has been laying but she just started setting on this nest. I hope she's a good momma.

I got some from someone that were supposed to be Mille Fleur. At the time I was not very wise on the breed. I had one hen with a beard but her color is poor. No white at all. She is now currently setting on 6 of my full sized Easter Egger eggs. I don't even know where she has been laying but she just started setting on this nest. I hope she's a good momma.
I hear that they are good mommas. That is why I need one or two. I have other broodies but they are giants and may break eggs. Cochins and Brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom