Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Just got this guy a few days ago. My first Maran. Let me know what you think.

I am pretty sure that I know the answer, but I would love some opinions front the experts. This large chick in the front is a black copper Marans. He is supposed to be 3 weeks old, but he seems much more developed than the rest of the chicks, who at most are supposed to be 4 days younger. Just wondering thoughts on age and gender!

Hi guys i am new to marans and have hatched a birchen Maran chick. it is 6 weeks at least and still no tail. does anyone know if this a male or female trait with the birchen marans?

Would you guys mind critiquing my black copper Marans? The 3 ladies in the first pictures are Faith, Mercy, and Grace. Grace is the one with a lot of copper on her neck (is she considered mossy?). The roo's name is Zeus lol.

This last one is Mocha. She's only about 4-5 months old so I know it's probably hard to tell if she's good or not but I wanted to throw her in here just in case. She has no copper on her that I can see at all.

Sorry to be a thread hog but thanks for looking :) I'm hoping I have some decent birds!

Last edited:
Finally got some pics. Its a maran cross with either brown leghorn or cochin. It has the gorgeous birchin colour but im not sure whether boy or girl. Im thinking boy :-( others have been pecking out his feathers.about 8wks old

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom