Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
I sincerely wish you the best at ending your bobcat problem..!

Stay cool..
40's here tonight..
big_smile.png

ON

Quote:
Berkley - Gosh, I don't mean to sound negative or nasty, but...Marans aren't considered Marans unless they lay a #4 egg on the Marans scale, even at the end of their laying cycle; the eggs shown don't come close to a #4...they are much too light for Marans eggs. I'm sorry to say that! I would take the very darkest layer that you have, and hatch ONLY her eggs to help increase egg color.

Quote:
OH! I bet he's a happy, happy, HAPPY boy!

(but...um...only two girls? if you need some extra hens, let me know!
gig.gif
)

Quote:
Well now I am totally disgusted.
barnie.gif
It will probably be all roosters!!!
he.gif
Grrrrr.
somad.gif
The feathers looked so different. I thought it was all the chicken breeds.
hit.gif
Oh crapper. I hope I can at least get a couple of hens. Last time was disappointing. I had like 6 roos and ONE HEN. Thanks for sharing the info. It's always nice to learn. I think they should only be allowed to lay pink and blue eggs then we would know. Grrrr.

Ohhhh, I am with you about pink or blue eggs or at the very least a pink or blue dot on the egg!
wink.png

Last edited:
Bev, I am in NORTH FLORIDA. Some folks up here are having bob cat problems too.
fl.gif
So far, all I have had to deal with was a LARGE rat snake
fl.gif

We do have a fox that visits from time to time, but he has never messed with the chickens. He terrorizes my garden anytime I use organic fertilizers like Fish Emulsion or Blood Meal. When I use these products, I have to have an empty garden and keep it that way for at least a week. The fox visits my garden and digs several nights in a row. He visits until he gives up the hope of discovering the source of that stinking smell.

We have racoons too. However, they have thus far only messed with our trash cans.

Is it legal for us to shoot bob cats (in Florida) or are they a protected species or something ? ? ?

Good Luck stopping the bobcat!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but that is just toooo funny!
gig.gif

If you knew how frustrating it was - - - you would not laugh. Stupid Fox - - -I can not use really good organic fertilizes during the growing season because of it. I can only do it at the initial set up. Otherwise, he digs up everything I have growing looking for the source of the smell. He truly believes if he digs enough - - - he will find the rotting fish or dead animal that I buried in my garden - NOT. It has been that way for 2 years now. During the growing season I use cottonseed meal - - - the fox doesn't seem to mind that one !

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I offended you math ace...I really didn't mean to. When I read your post, I instantly invisioned this wild eyed fox digging frantically in a garden trying to find something that he'll NEVER find.
lol.png
I seriously don't take light of your hardships with dealing with him. Please forgive me.

Bev and Math Ace,

Are you not allowed to use electric fencing in Florida?? Let them get a few good jolts, and that will put an end to it. If the Bobcat is jumping over the fence, tack some 2x4s at least 2 feet tall to the top of the fencing, and run a couple of strands of hot wire. I'm going to add three strands, bottom 6" off the ground, middle about 3 ft. up, and top about 3" above the top rail. Mine has a wire enclosed roof as well, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Run some hot around the garden Ace, it will cure Mr. Fox!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom