Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have a BCM chick that hatched out, and it was SOOOO big! Its the size of my (almost) full grown bantams, at only2 and half week! how big is this bird gunna be?!?!

Thanks all for the replies re: breeding birchen marans. I have a couple different lines, quality isn't fantastic but they have good body type and size. The eggs they came from aren't the darkest which I found disappointing when I got them, however I will do my best with what I have to start from. I see a long term project!

Quote:
Good to see another joining in with birchens! Have you posted any pics of them yet? I started working with mine about a year and a half ago and agree...it is a long term project. There are a couple of others working with them too that pop on the thread off and on. It is nice to be able to bounce things off of others going through the same thing with them!

Quote:
Here she is about a week ago... Do they sometimes start with such little 'inking'/coating at the start? Yours appears much more coated... Do you think that the smear is blood or possibly some of the 'ink'?
FYI: the bottom of the egg in the picture is shadowed... not coated with bloom... the tone is more like the top all over.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50610_marans.jpg

that bcm is a really pretty girl! Do you have a close up on that comb? I'm having a hard time telling for sure, but is it a carnation?

Good morning all

While I still have my monitor, let me tell you all I am having computer problems as of yesterday, the monitor just kept blinking the startup logo?? Don't know why I even tried it again this morning after working on it last night with no sucess. Hope it stays on, but it's starting to blink again. If I am MIA, that's why! No need to have Pink call, I'm ok!
lol.png

Quote:
Here she is about a week ago... Do they sometimes start with such little 'inking'/coating at the start? Yours appears much more coated... Do you think that the smear is blood or possibly some of the 'ink'?
FYI: the bottom of the egg in the picture is shadowed... not coated with bloom... the tone is more like the top all over.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50610_marans.jpg

that bcm is a really pretty girl! Do you have a close up on that comb? I'm having a hard time telling for sure, but is it a carnation?

Now, I have everybody looking at combs!
lol.png
Good eye Vicki, that does look like carnation to me too. A close up from the top or back should confirm. I am the QUEEN of CARNATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Any Pene breeders need to improve your combs, have I got some birds for you!!
lol.png

Quote:

Now, I have everybody looking at combs!
lol.png
Good eye Vicki, that does look like carnation to me too. A close up from the top or back should confirm. I am the QUEEN of CARNATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Any Pene breeders need to improve your combs, have I got some birds for you!!
lol.png

haha Combs have always been a huge deal in my dad's breeding program...literally after looking at body type, it is the first thing I look at. If it doesn't pass muster they gotta go. That is one thing I will always appreciate about growing up around my dad who is legally blind and having to be his eyes when selecting the breeders for his programs. I think it gave me a strong perspective from a young age since I had to do the culling and etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom