Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Please understand you can breed your poultry any way you would like. This blue female has one of the worst Combs I have ever seen on a Marans and I have seen some bad combs. She for sure has a SPRIG and mostly likely a Carnation.

I believe that anyone that owns a breed of poultry has an obligation to leave the breed in as good or better condition .

That other chicken in the back does make it look like she has a really bad comb. Maybe a better picture would clarify the comb.

Hey thank you for pointing that out. I think that snowbird did Not see the Wellie behind the big blue. She is the bird in the center and this Pic is better but not the best. Her comb is not great but not horrible either. It is not Carnation but not totally straight either.
31570_img_0723.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a pic of one of my Splash Copper Roos from the Pink eggs I hatched back in March. He lives nearby now... I re-homed him to a nice woman a couple of towns away. He's 31 weeks here, but I gave him away at about 18 weeks. He's a beauty, I think!

50610_oct_19_2011_roo.jpg

Steve

Quote:
That other chicken in the back does make it look like she has a really bad comb. Maybe a better picture would clarify the comb.

Hey thank you for pointing that out. I think that snowbird did Not see the Wellie behind the big blue. She is the bird in the center and this Pic is better but not the best. Her comb is not great but not horrible either. It is not Carnation but not totally straight either.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31570_img_0723.jpg

I saw the hen behind, Notice the back of the where that is called a Blade is turned sideways and has a few small points on it. This is usually associated with the Fowl that have the Penne influence. This female should not be used in any kind of SOP breeding program as it is a waste of your time and money. If you still feel like using her anyway that is ok too, as she belongs to you.

Quote:
haha....we were chatty weren't we?
tongue.png

I have to agree with you Debbi....that's why I feel so guarded about my birchens...until I feel like they are at a place where they are ready they will be staying put here and will be going to freezer camp or my own personal laying pen. I don't mind selling the others like the BCMs for layers but don't market them as such, just as dark egg layers or mixed layers. Now that might change on the BCMs if Gigantor proves to throw some really good offspring
wink.png

But the birchens are my babies....I want to see them get to where I know they can be...no matter how long it takes me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom