Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

they'reHISchickens :

Can I get an opinion here?
This is our BlueCM roo who is a year and a half old. We put our 2blacks and 1 blue laced hen with him this year and hatched what we could. We still havent' figured out how to hatch more than about 35%, but are working on it. Hatches were heavily roo but we have some young pullets now: 2 pure powdered blue, a few blue laced, a couple black and 3 splash. Only 2 splash have reached laying age.
Should we keep him for another year? He doesn't get along with our other two roos ( an Orp and an Arcauna). The other two roos are good together and excellent flock protectors as we do free-range. He is also rough on the girls, but we admit, he needs more than 3 to keep him busy. If we keep him it would be in isolation for the winter, then put the girls with him in late winter for breeding.
In an ideal world, he would replace the Orp as head roo, but we are afraid he would kill both roos and they are proven flock protectors and good to the ladies.
Is he good enough quality to keep him around or would it be fairly easy to replace him in late winter by purchasing/rehoming a FBCM roo?
Of the roos we hatched this year, there were really only one or two that I thought were close to this guy. Many had mossy chests fairly early. ( The mama hens are not mossy at all.) I have one black young roo that I want to grow out because we would really like to lean towards blacks with a few blues/splashes.
His leg feathering is a bit sparse but the black hens are well feathered and the powder blue pullets are well feathered- moreso than the blue hen. The splashes are both feathered and nonfeathered.
What's the verdict-- keep or replace?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17886_mature_blue_roo.jpg

The part that I personally am not a fan of on him is his hackle color. For me its too straw colored.

Some of the others that raise blue coppers hopefully will come by and chime in for you on whether he would be good to hold onto and how easy it would be to find a good blue copper replacement if you didn't keep him. I have heard several people say its hard to get a good blue copper boy...​

they'reHISchickens wrote:

What is your hesitation here ? If your are afraid that he will not be replaced by a better Marans ? Would you consider finding a replacement and then rehoming this rooster ? Should you use him for breeding again ? Did you like the results of his offsprings ?

I can not comment on his color or type but I do know that their personalities often change as their placement in the pecking order changes. Also when those who are good at critiquing step in they do like more that one shot and some information about the birds that were the outcome of his breeding. I don't know it sounds as if you are trying to justify you keeping him through the winter. How about putting the orp into seclusion and observing what happens to the flock dynamics. Whew more questions that answers but I want to help you think about the pros and cons more.
th.gif

they'reHISchickens :

Can I get an opinion here?
This is our BlueCM roo who is a year and a half old. We put our 2blacks and 1 blue laced hen with him this year and hatched what we could. We still havent' figured out how to hatch more than about 35%, but are working on it. Hatches were heavily roo but we have some young pullets now: 2 pure powdered blue, a few blue laced, a couple black and 3 splash. Only 2 splash have reached laying age.
Should we keep him for another year? He doesn't get along with our other two roos ( an Orp and an Arcauna). The other two roos are good together and excellent flock protectors as we do free-range. He is also rough on the girls, but we admit, he needs more than 3 to keep him busy. If we keep him it would be in isolation for the winter, then put the girls with him in late winter for breeding.
In an ideal world, he would replace the Orp as head roo, but we are afraid he would kill both roos and they are proven flock protectors and good to the ladies.
Is he good enough quality to keep him around or would it be fairly easy to replace him in late winter by purchasing/rehoming a FBCM roo?
Of the roos we hatched this year, there were really only one or two that I thought were close to this guy. Many had mossy chests fairly early. ( The mama hens are not mossy at all.) I have one black young roo that I want to grow out because we would really like to lean towards blacks with a few blues/splashes.
His leg feathering is a bit sparse but the black hens are well feathered and the powder blue pullets are well feathered- moreso than the blue hen. The splashes are both feathered and nonfeathered.
What's the verdict-- keep or replace?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17886_mature_blue_roo.jpg

If I were using him for a purebred program - I'd replace him. If I were using him for a mutt program, I'd solve my flock arrangement plans and keep him.​

Quote:
It ended up dying. I think there was just something seriously wrong. No one else had any issues. This one was unsteady at first like all the others. I don't think it ever got as steady as them, it was hyper and unstead like all the others. Something was wrong and it just kept getting weaker. I am just going to assume this is one of those mother nature things. I have raised probably 100 chicks now. I don't lose many. Generally I lose the runt/failure to thrive ones later on and even then thats only happened twice. This is the second really young one though. Sometimes it seems nothing is the right thing to do for these. So cry tonight and in the morning I will just order myself some more eggs. I have 7 more awesome marans babies to play with still and this one is no longer suffering.

I have to admit marans do make the cutest and most heart stealing chickies I have raised yet.

Quote:
It ended up dying. I think there was just something seriously wrong. No one else had any issues. This one was unsteady at first like all the others. I don't think it ever got as steady as them, it was hyper and unstead like all the others. Something was wrong and it just kept getting weaker. I am just going to assume this is one of those mother nature things. I have raised probably 100 chicks now. I don't lose many. Generally I lose the runt/failure to thrive ones later on and even then thats only happened twice. This is the second really young one though. Sometimes it seems nothing is the right thing to do for these. So cry tonight and in the morning I will just order myself some more eggs. I have 7 more awesome marans babies to play with still and this one is no longer suffering.

I have to admit marans do make the cutest and most heart stealing chickies I have raised yet.

I'm so sorry
sad.png
that's a stinky deal

Quote:
Yours sounds a lot worse off than mine. Trouble has started much earlier and is progressing MUCH faster. And mine didn't end well ...
hmm.png
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I know it isn't fun trying to sort out the puzzle. They are all so precious to us.
sad.png

Good luck!!

Good Morning, or I hope it is for all of you. Mine started out with checking on my 2 day old marans chicks and I have a problem that I hope someone can help with. Three of the chick--the only ones with feathers down the toes--are getting their feathered toes pecked. One so bad that it looks to the little bone. Now I loved on these little guys last night when I tucked them in and did not see any of this but this morning it is going on. I have split the bloody toed ones into another brooder. I raise LF cochins and have never seen this except maybe if I have giunea keet with them--keet will sometimes peck the chicks feathers on the feet. Is this common in marans? They have lots of room and never ran out of food and are only 2 days old! Any ideas!!

barnie.gif

Hi ya'll,

I have 5 splash Marans hatched out of 16 eggs from Crfarm.
woot.gif
1 chick had pipped but was shrink wrapped, the other 5 is not showing any signs of life, the rest were scrambled. Otherwise I am very happy with them.
love.gif
They are my first chicks to hatch after I had to cull my entire flock of chickens, guineas, ducks, geese, turkeys and peafowl to a disease.
sad.png
Here are the pictures.
smile.png

74819_1040466095727_orig.jpeg

74819_2040466095728_orig.jpeg

3 are clean legged, and 2 have well feather legs with some in the middle toes. I plan to use Wynette's line (which just hatched this morning, will post pictures later) to darken the eggs, and improve the leg feathering.

Back
Top Bottom