Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:

LOL! There is no stoppin' me N-N-N-nnnooooowWWWW!!!!!! I'm going to keep you guru's on your toes!!!!!
wink.png
lol.png

So I don't know if you can see this, but I posted this photo of him specifically because it showed some lighter spots in his wing bow that match the hackle...I should have stated that when I posted and yes this was in the back of a truck, so the photos are not the best. I should have taken this rooster when he was offered to me the first time........ even stupider me, I declined him the second time he was offered, because I thought he was too light in the hackle, but he had a BEAUTIFUL COMB and he was a teddy bear. I loved the red in his chest....but now looking back at the photo's of him I have, I think I see one feather in his breast that shows shafting.
hmm.png

Do you see it?

Last edited:
Quote:
Your Welcome and I still hope more come by to give their words as well. It really is helpful when lots of different opinions are offered, everyone sees things differently and has a different plan for their birds, so all the imput you can get is great, IMO.
smile.png

Definitely #1 is better than #2, but I am not sure of #1's copper coloration. Will have to wait for more to come by and others with more experience with this color or tone of copper. I have not seen this tone all over on a bird before so I don't know how to respond. The best thing about this thread is that everyone is here to help one another and learn. Wish Snowbird would pop in and lend some of his wisdom on these males for us.

I don't see the shafting - the copper on his chest feathers is in the right place- along the edges.
I see the light areas in the shoulders.
Yes, that's a fantastic comb. I had a bresse roo that I lost in the fire, he had a comb like that - sort of thin and looked like it was cut with large pinking shears. My other bresse roo had the thicker comb type with longer rounder points. THe thicker holds up better in the winter, but I like the look of the thinner.

Quote:

LOL! There is no stoppin' me N-N-N-nnnooooowWWWW!!!!!! I'm going to keep you guru's on your toes!!!!!
wink.png
lol.png

So I don't know if you can see this, but I posted this photo of him specifically because it showed some lighter spots in his wing bow that match the hackle...I should have stated that when I posted and yes this was in the back of a truck, so the photos are not the best. I should have taken this rooster when he was offered to me the first time........ even stupider me, I declined him the second time he was offered, because I thought he was too light in the hackle, but he had a BEAUTIFUL COMB and he was a teddy bear. I loved the red in his chest....but now looking back at the photo's of him I have, I think I see one feather in his breast that shows shafting.
hmm.png

Do you see it?

Quote:
big smudge of white on head - cockerel
small dot on head - pullet

I am going to assume that the mothers are the Cuckoo's (I am assuming this because I don't think that the seller would set a RIR egg and think that it was a Cuckoo egg unless the Cuckoo's have VERY poor egg color) and the father could be a RIR as you suggested before because of the Rosecomb issue, so only the males should be sexable because they would have been the ones that got the barring gene from their mother, leaving the females not sexlinked with the barring trait or tell tale smudge of white on the head.
That said I believe that both chicks you are showing with the rosecomb are males.

I would gently write a letter to the person that you purchased these birds from and send these photos as well to inform that maybe a roo jumped a fence, or perhaps the seller may not have waited long enough before incubating eggs if they had just seperated birds for mating.
Single combs are recessive to Rosecombs. A Rosecomb crossed to a Single comb can produce Single combed birds and Rosecombed birds, this being the case, perhaps you will never know if the Single combed chicks you have are pure Cuckoo either, even if there is a slight chance of them being pure. Sorry to be the messenger, but if this happened in chicks that I sold to someone, I would want to know so that I could rectify the situation and make it right with the purchaser. Hope this helps.

Good mornin' all
frow.gif

VC ~ Have you recooperated from Christmas yet?
lau.gif

Are Cuckoos usually born with that reddish cast to the chick down?? I would say something else got in the wood pile, JMO

I like the #1 roo too. Looks like there may be some Wheaten influence in him though, he has white legs and those yellow hackles. Not a bad looking boy, but I think I'd single mate him first to see what pops out. JMO

Back
Top Bottom