Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

OBTW - - Tomorrow is Day 21 for my FIRST hatch of the year.

I wasn't kidding when I posted last year that I don't sit glued to the incubator on hatch day!
It is too nerve wracking to me. Tomorrow, I will dip all my chickens and finish digging the trenches for the poultry fountains..
Made good progress on these things today. I got almost - ALMOST - all the birds dipped. I have about 8 more to do tomorrow morning.
Trenches are dung and piping is being laid for the poultry fountains. We will try to get the piping finished tomorrow.

Chicks are hatching like crazy.... Looks like the hatch is going to go through the night!

Made good progress on these things today. I got almost - ALMOST - all the birds dipped. I have about 8 more to do tomorrow morning.
Trenches are dung and piping is being laid for the poultry fountains. We will try to get the piping finished tomorrow.

Chicks are hatching like crazy.... Looks like the hatch is going to go through the night!

That's great! love productive days! I was just catching up on the thread earlier...and was gonna ask ya about one of the posts. You mentioned followup 7 to 10 days later...does that mean you dip the birds twice 7 to 10 days apart? I'm interested in possibly trying it...but not until after I have thinned out some birds...cause I have a lot haha

That's great! love productive days! I was just catching up on the thread earlier...and was gonna ask ya about one of the posts. You mentioned followup 7 to 10 days later...does that mean you dip the birds twice 7 to 10 days apart? I'm interested in possibly trying it...but not until after I have thinned out some birds...cause I have a lot haha

You must re-treat 7 to 10 days later whether you do it with dip, spray, or powder. I believe you even have to do a second dose with the eprinex wormer. The reason is to kill any babies that hatched from eggs...

I turned around and used the dirty dip water in my pump up sprayer and hit the ground in the coops and any ant hills I could find. It works on any flies you see hanging out on fresh poops....

IF I know I am having a problem, I will treat them three weekends in a row just to make sure I've killed every single parasite.

I've been comparing labels and for those of you with horses.... The Repel-X is very similiar to the watered down percentages that I use with the adams. If any one wants to compare the labels...

Repel-X label
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/PDF/78783-Repel-XPConcentrate_qt_10321.pdf

Adams flea and tick dip (Remember that I water it down 50%....)
so everything is 1/2 as strong...

http://www.jefferspet.com/images/label/0031268.htm

I can tell you that my leghorn is looking awfully white today. On your lighter birds (leghorns and ameracaunas) , BE SURE TO SQUEEZE out as much excess water from their feathers as possible. Otherwise, the water weighs them down and they act like they are drunk. The larger birds - - marans, delawares, etc just look like drowned rats for a few hours.

You must re-treat 7 to 10 days later whether you do it with dip, spray, or powder. I believe you even have to do a second dose with the eprinex wormer. The reason is to kill any babies that hatched from eggs...

I turned around and used the dirty dip water in my pump up sprayer and hit the ground in the coops and any ant hills I could find. It works on any flies you see hanging out on fresh poops....

IF I know I am having a problem, I will treat them three weekends in a row just to make sure I've killed every single parasite.

I've been comparing labels and for those of you with horses.... The Repel-X is very similiar to the watered down percentages that I use with the adams. If any one wants to compare the labels...

Repel-X label
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/PDF/78783-Repel-XPConcentrate_qt_10321.pdf

Adams flea and tick dip (Remember that I water it down 50%....)
so everything is 1/2 as strong...

http://www.jefferspet.com/images/label/0031268.htm

I can tell you that my leghorn is looking awfully white today. On your lighter birds (leghorns and ameracaunas) , BE SURE TO SQUEEZE out as much excess water from their feathers as possible. Otherwise, the water weighs them down and they act like they are drunk. The larger birds - - marans, delawares, etc just look like drowned rats for a few hours.

Thanks! I figured it was the same as sprays, which is what I usually do..but just wanted to make sure. I'm not the brightest bulb today. I'm just wiped out after work today...one of the hardest days I've had so far there. I don't have any light birds, so hopefully the process will go smoothly if I decide I indeed want to try it.

Thanks! I figured it was the same as sprays, which is what I usually do..but just wanted to make sure. I'm not the brightest bulb today. I'm just wiped out after work today...one of the hardest days I've had so far there. I don't have any light birds, so hopefully the process will go smoothly if I decide I indeed want to try it.

I've tried it all - Sprays, powders, dips, and pour on wormer / parasite control. It all seems to take about the same amount of time. You still have to catch every bird, treat every bird, release every bird, etc...

I don't like the powder because I worry about the bird breathing it, PLUS I end up breathing it - UGGGH!

I don't like the spray because it needs to get through all the feathers to get to the skin...

I don't like the eprinex pour on because I was using a syringe to administer it and it ruined SEVERAL rubber sealers in the syringes before I finished the job. This was actually tedious for me to apply because you had to find the skin in the hackle feathers. You had to be careful to get most of the Rx on the skin instead of the feathers.

I DO like the dip because the bird is coated neck to toe. The draw back is YOU ARE GONNA GET WET before it is all over with!
The second draw back is you can only do this on warm days. If I have an issue in the winter, then I use sevin dust.

HERE is the TOO FUNNY thing today. My marans have always had at least 4 dips a year. They KNOW what is going on as soon as the first bird is taken for a little dip..... LOL.... So, my mature and experienced marans rooster watches us dip the other flocks and decides to take action. He called all his hens into the coop and they all hid from us... It is 11 in the afternoon and all 17 birds in that group are hiding out in the coop! Too smart for his own good! We had to dip him first so that the ladies would quit hiding in the coop!

I've tried it all - Sprays, powders, dips, and pour on wormer / parasite control. It all seems to take about the same amount of time. You still have to catch every bird, treat every bird, release every bird, etc...

I don't like the powder because I worry about the bird breathing it, PLUS I end up breathing it - UGGGH!

I don't like the spray because it needs to get through all the feathers to get to the skin...

I don't like the eprinex pour on because I was using a syringe to administer it and it ruined SEVERAL rubber sealers in the syringes before I finished the job. This was actually tedious for me to apply because you had to find the skin in the hackle feathers. You had to be careful to get most of the Rx on the skin instead of the feathers.

I DO like the dip because the bird is coated neck to toe. The draw back is YOU ARE GONNA GET WET before it is all over with!
The second draw back is you can only do this on warm days. If I have an issue in the winter, then I use sevin dust.

HERE is the TOO FUNNY thing today. My marans have always had at least 4 dips a year. They KNOW what is going on as soon as the first bird is taken for a little dip..... LOL.... So, my mature and experienced marans rooster watches us dip the other flocks and decides to take action. He called all his hens into the coop and they all hid from us... It is 11 in the afternoon and all 17 birds in that group are hiding out in the coop! Too smart for his own good! We had to dip him first so that the ladies would quit hiding in the coop!
haha...that's hilarious. The Marans sure are smart! I was wondering if it took about the same amount of time and how messy it is...you mentioned you use the dip water in a sprayer...I hadn't thought about that, but it does seem like a good one!

Quote:
clap.gif
You go with your genetics explaining self! I love it that I understood half of your post!!
I read my whole genetics book and now am going back over certain parts that I am curious about. It is awesome when the lights start coming on and l feel like I get a grasp on certain things. Of course then I realize how much more learning I have to do. lol

Hi Marans FRIENDS!!!!!!!!! Been really busy with the stuff of life around here and been missing my favorite BYC thread alot alot alot!!! Haven't even had time to go back and read up on what everyone has been up to.
Been transplanting veggie starts into bigger containers as they out grew the smaller ones sitting in the greenhouse patiently waiting for the rains to subside so they can go into the garden...but I fear the rains will hang on to their lead for a while longer this spring, so the veggies will just have to suffice in the greenhouse. Been working in the gardens building raised beds and have a little left to do on them, then will construct their temp. hoop houses for each one.

Had a great hatch last weekend with the Marans...already sold most of them. Think I still have about 11 left if anyone over here near me in Portland or SW Washington are looking for some.
big_smile.png

All 4 of those really really dark eggs that I got from that Black Copper hatched and they are all doing great. 1 Black Copper and 3 Blue Coppers. Thinking I lucked out and got 2 males and 2 females.

3 Wellies hatched, 2 boys and one 1 girl and I am very stinkin' excited about that...they could have all been boys and I still would have been thrilled. Hoping beyond hope that one of them turns out very nice. I think they will probably both turn out nice due to their parentage. I can't wait to have a Wellie rooster again. Chicken life without a Wellie boy around here has sucked.

3 Barnies hatched, one died after hatching, one pipped a good size hole and then started bubbling/foaming from the beak, so I put it down. The other 2 Barnie babies (both pullets) are doing great....except one of them had a slipped tendon upon hatch and I have been nursing her back to her feet. Day before yesterday I was finally able to get the vet wrap hobble just right to keep the tendon in place and now she is up running around and causing havoc. She of course will not be breeding stock due to this problem, but she will be one spoiled rotten layer. She is a little sweetie.

Hope you all are doing great!

Whose hatching on Easter?????????
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom