1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Breaker, Oct 7, 2012.

1. I have marans that are about 32 weeks old now and i have not found any eggs yet when do they usually start to lay

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Most hens will start to lay around 24 weeks or so. Yours may be laying and you don't know it due to them being free range? It would be almost impossible to have more than one hen be sterile in a flock. Do a vent check by picking up a hen and see if the vent is round and small or oval and moist. Round and small is not laying, Oval and moist are laying somewhere.

Jim

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. I only let them out too times a week and they are the only dark egg laying hens in my flock maybe they are just late

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My maran is 36 weeks and still not laying! Are marans just late bloomers or...?

5. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Have you done the vent check? It will tell you if they are late bloomers or just reacting to the season, most hens slow down beginning in the fall.

Jim

6. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I am waiting any day now for the first egg from my Marans. I think they are about 20 weeks now.
    I have three black and two copper as well as three Olive Eggers.

Here are some photos I took today. I've only had them for just over a week now and one even ate a worm out of my hand today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. auburnkurls

auburnkurls Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Lakewood, WA
    I have 2 marans hatched May 25.... waiting still for eggs. One of them has a big red comb.. but no eggs.

8. my marans just layed their first eggs around 37 weeks old

9. Cocotte

Cocotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    I have two 30 week olds and am still waiting for eggs.

10. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    I have 4 BCM and they started laying at 21 weeks. All 4 started within 1 week of each other. It's now been a month and one has gone broody on me. The eggs are still smallish! I've read where some people's Marans start laying large eggs right away. But not mine, of course. I also let mine free range a little and on those days, I don't always find eggs. My Momma always said, "A watched pot never boils"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by