March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

I have a bad set, we had 19 eggs and only 2 viable. But we have had such huge temp swings I am not surprised a bit. Exciting more Beilies!!
I guess you may be doing some feather trims. Those orps have such big bloomers! LOL
My roo is "Cogburn's" son & every bit as wonderful. I wanted to keep a lav male, but DD fell in love with this guy. (Just not enough to give him a decent name. He's called "Mr Dummy-Pants")

The Bieles are related to the beautiful boy pictured in my last post. He died in Oct & we were heartbroken. I sold all of the Biele pullets since I no longer had a male (& getting numbers down before winter is always a good thing.) I'm very excited to try again.

So we are on day 4! Last night I candled some just because we are being stupid impatient people as this is our first hatch ever. I got this awesome flashlight with 170 lumins from target. I am amazed at what I can see in the eggs now. All looked normal like I expected but the one gigantic egg almost looked like we could see a dark spot and what looked like the slightest of veins beginning. Might be our imagination, but my daughter and I both saw it :) All together we have 3 silkie eggs and then 15 mix breeds. (Some are white and some are brown eggs). I'm excited for next week so we can really candle them and see some action!

It's okay, I think most of us candle some on days that we're not supposed to. It's still just as exciting when you've done it a dozen times!!

It's okay, I think most of us candle some on days that we're not supposed to. It's still just as exciting when you've done it a dozen times!!
I struggle with it too and this is my 4th year incubating! I have made myself wait til day 14, or at least day 10. I usually have my cabinet pretty full by spring so it gets busy, but soooo exciting seeing the babies swimming in the eggs!

I struggle with it too and this is my 4th year incubating! I have made myself wait til day 14, or at least day 10. I usually have my cabinet pretty full by spring so it gets busy, but soooo exciting seeing the babies swimming in the eggs!
Yes, I've been incubating for just over a year, this is my 5th hatch. It's just very tempting to candle my one white egg every few days....

Lost an egg. :( I'd been wondering about it for a few days -- the chick never moved, didn't seem to take up as much space as the others, and the veins had started fading. Last night I candled it again and there were no veins but a new large dark spot. I debated leaving it or pulling it for about 10 minutes and finally just decided to risk it. Did an "eggtopsy" to check and there were no veins at all ... the new dark spot was all blood but there were no veins going to little chick or anywhere in the yolk.

The yolk was also crazy watery -- is that a normal part of the incubation or another indication of something being wrong?

Last edited:
Day 6! White Leghorn.

Sorry for your loss. I always have a couple quitters, I attribute it to cold spots maybe in the incubator. Occasionally I am turning and feel and egg is cool so I rotate in in the center of the "nest" but it's just really hard to say.

Back
Top Bottom