MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
It's Day 7 on my first batch of Silkies. I have 22 eggs in the incubator. Just did my first candling. Looks like I only have 13 that are fertile... Not sure if I should be upset or relieved... 😂 I only ordered 12 hatching eggs. They sent 22. I don't have room for 22 birds. I only intend to keep somewhere between 4 - 8 pullets. Well, hopefully I GET that many pullets. I will be shaking my fist at the sky if I end up with 13 roosters.... 😂

Looks like I'm in this one since I just fired up the incubator and set 29 eggs I had warmed to room temperature and filled a water reservoir. I would have set eggs a month ago if we hadn't been close to 0F for the last two weeks.
18 days without getting over freezing and 15 of the last 17 days with snow.

I'm a little worried about this hatch.... Got up this morning and my humidity was at 38. 😳 I added water and it started dropping even more so I added a little bit of warm water and it shot up to 60. It is 3 hrs later and it is still sitting at 59 with the vent all the way open.

Yesterday it climbed high too and I opened the lid just to bring it back to lower 50s.

Didn't have this much fluctuation when I incubated eggs last month. Don't know why it is so erratic this time.

I just set a bunch of farmers market eggs. They were refrigerated so I’m not expecting a great hatch rate, I just want to play with my new incubator and add some new chickens to the flock.
Welcome! Yes the hatch rate will be a bit lower with refrigerated eggs but there’s no reason why you won’t get some! Done it many times. Good luck with it!🥰

I'm a little worried about this hatch.... Got up this morning and my humidity was at 38. 😳 I added water and it started dropping even more so I added a little bit of warm water and it shot up to 60. It is 3 hrs later and it is still sitting at 59 with the vent all the way open.

Yesterday it climbed high too and I opened the lid just to bring it back to lower 50s.

Didn't have this much fluctuation when I incubated eggs last month. Don't know why it is so erratic this time.
Not unusual for the humidity to go up when you add warm water and for it to go down when you add cold water. I actually incubate my eggs in the 30s so it shouldn’t be any problem. Agree it’s more consistency over time than any one reading.😊

I dont like doing this but ive got myself in a pickle because ive got a staggered hatch rate!
Ive got 2 hatching on the 3rd of march and 3 hatching on the 5th, i have a manual incubator!
I'm going to have to open the bator to turn the eggs that aren't in lockdown while 2 will be in lockdown i dont want to shrink the lockdown chicks in the membrane but i also have to turn the other eggs! Any help would be appreciated Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom