MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
They were just local farm eggs. $5 a carton. I knew the brown eggs had about 4 roosters, the blue eggs had maybe one rooster, but I didn't get to talk to the lady I usually buy them from. Just her teen daughter was there, she knew I was buying eggs to set, and didn't say anything about if they got rid of their rooster. The brown egg guy didn't wash off any bloom I know, the blue isbars may have been washed and room temp-ed, for how long, IDK.

That's fantastic! First hatches are so exciting. Where did you source your eggs? What incubator are you using?
They are from our own flock. Last year we had a hen that went broody but didn’t sit long enough to hatch them. They were almost fully developed too 😞. As for incubator we are using the nurture right 360. After doing some reading in here that looked to be one of the better incubators to get that was fairly inexpensive

Ok, I gave in and set 6 in the incubator last night from my hens... then on a whim, stuck 3 collected eggs in Bonny's nest (she's a BO) and will add daily for a few days.. hoping she will get broody for me and do a nice job.

Had she gone broody before?

They are from our own flock. Last year we had a hen that went broody but didn’t sit long enough to hatch them. They were almost fully developed too 😞. As for incubator we are using the nurture right 360. After doing some reading in here that looked to be one of the better incubators to get that was fairly inexpensive

Nice! Hatching your own eggs makes this hatch even more special.

Had she gone broody before?

Nice! Hatching your own eggs makes this hatch even more special.
She's young, but I've caught her sitting in the nest before for long periods of time. I think she was just waiting on enough eggs to really make it worth her while. She's very preoccupied with what's in the nest.

Sorry for the earlier losses.🙁
You will like the NR360! (The lid is very annoying, though). What breeds are you incubating? 😊

brow.PNG
Then day 4 tonight- these are going.... Hoping for a St. Pat's still.

Last edited:
Sorry for the earlier losses.🙁
You will like the NR360! (The lid is very annoying, though). What breeds are you incubating? 😊
Honestly have no clue. Last spring took the kids to family farm and home and they just started grabbing. Lol. I know one of our roosters is a white leghorn and one of the hens is a light Brahma. Other than that ??? So it’s going to be interesting to see what hatches

Edit. It looks like our other hens are dark brahmas. We do have one Rhode Island Red but she’s going on 4 years old and don’t think she’s laying anymore

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom