MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
LOCKDOWN TOMMOROW! YAY!
I'm worried about when i lay them on their side!, What if i lay them where their beak is facing downwards by accident?
Is there a way to candle them to make sure they pip upwards?
unnamed (4)_LI.jpg

Yay!🥰
When you lay them down, you want to have the largest part of the aircell facing upwards. You can candle them to see where this is, or if you have been marking the air cells you can tell.
I mark an "X" on the shell where the lowest point on the air cell is. The chick will normally pip near this X.
I do not think you can tell exactly where they will pip before they actual do.
You can tell when they have internally pipped by candling, but I think it would be hard to tell even then where they will externally pip. I usually only candle after lockdown if they are running late.

Good luck!😊

Last edited:
Chick #2 has hatched, it's pretty much identical to the first even with the same black head spot, thankfully their combs are different though. chick #3 pipped in the wrong spot but working on it's way out. Will check broody in the morning.

That chick is super cute! just wait till it fluffs out OMG!
Is that the janoel/magicfly 10 incubator?
Yes it is. I really love it, I use it for quail and small incubation/hatching. Easy to clean and I find it hold a stable temp really good

I have three batches in the incubator now. My set of 22 only had 9 fertile. So I added 11 more in for batch 2 to bring up the total to 20. Just put them in on the 28 so don’t know how many are good for that. Then last night I added on another incubator with a baker’s dozen in there.
I am trying to hatch out 10 girls and one boy. A friend and I are trying to increase the number of females we will have. Being as this line of Welsh Harlequin ducks is sexable at hatch do hopefully with a total of 33 eggs in their should be enough females hatched.

Yes it is. I really love it, I use it for quail and small incubation/hatching. Easy to clean and I find it hold a stable temp really good
I have one as well, my very first incubator. 😊 Use it now mostly as a "dryer" for newly hatched chicks to hang out in. I use it to hatch if I need to as well. I stopped using it as an incubator, after I bought the Brinsea and NR360, and use it only if I need the space, as the humidty for me is impossible to control.

I’ve confirmed that the eggs under my broody died. Apparently she was off the nest for like 7 hours yesterday. I’m pretty disappointed, they were due to hatch on Friday. Given that she’s been sitting for about 3 weeks already, do you guys think it would be better to try again with fresh eggs or break her? I can also check in with local farm stores and see if they’re getting chicks yet, last year I was able to get peeps mid March.

Chick #2 has hatched, it's pretty much identical to the first even with the same black head spot, thankfully their combs are different though. chick #3 pipped in the wrong spot but working on it's way out. Will check broody in the morning.

Yea it is great! Im using it right now

Alright, you twisted my arm I am in :lau

I got some silkies cooking- I think 10 have made it this far they are due on the 10th!

Then dun dun dun...I have 24 eggs in the mail, praying for them to arrive safe and sound on Thursday....I don't have much faith in my postal people as the last box of eggs I had shipped I found on the shelf SIDEWAYS! The box had ARROWS! and EGGS written on side!!

Im going to pick up a package tomorrow, so I will warn them about it and remind them the importance of keeping them proper side up.

They are 12 hedemora and 12 of the 55 flowery hens. Wish us luck! Will be setting them on the March 5th (hopefully) for a due date of 26th :)

Back
Top Bottom