MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
I think I am losing one of my chicks, she has failed to thrive despite me showing her the food and water multiple times. She seems to be always cold. I have the brooder plate (Brinsea Ecoglow) set low at one end for the little chicks and high at the other end for the 3 week olds, I’ve shown her the warm end several times because she was very noisy. I found her flat out on the ground at the high end, stone cold. I thought she was already gone but she peeped softly so I popped her inside my top, against my skin which I assume she likes because she makes a lot of noise if I move. She’s a lot smaller than all the other chicks, even the ones who hatched at the same time. But she won't eat or drink so I’m just holding her close, keeping her warm and expecting she will pass soon.
I would keep trying to get her some food or even some water. Maybe can put some electrolytes in the water?? I’m just guessing since I’ve never dealt with anything close to that but I would think getting anything in her to help boost her energy is worth a shot. If it were me I’d feel better losing a chick knowing I tried all I could

This chick hatched and is odd for a few reasons:
1) color is silver as opposed to yellow
2) there is something still attached to it. Almost looks like an umbilical cord

What should I do? He is active, self hatched. Kind of got kicked out of his shell by a more aggressive earlier hatched bird
It's normal to have some egg waste still attached. That looks significantly more involved. Possible unabsorbed intestines. Definitely do a separate post if you haven't already. That chick needs extra help.

I would keep trying to get her some food or even some water. Maybe can put some electrolytes in the water?? I’m just guessing since I’ve never dealt with anything close to that but I would think getting anything in her to help boost her energy is worth a shot. If it were me I’d feel better losing a chick knowing I tried all I could
yes have tried that but she won’t yet drink or eat. She is perking up a bit as she gets warmer though. I found she has pasty butt, possibly from being too cold. I check the chicks daily and her butt was fine yesterday. I’ve cleaned her up and popped her in the incubator (dropped temp so suitable for her), I’ve put some water and food in there and I’m hoping she’ll perk up some more. Before I popped her in I dipped her beak in water but she won’t open her mouth to swallow any.
I then checked all the other chicks butts and everyone else is fine.

Well today is day 8 for my 6. Couldn’t wait the extra 2 days to candle them. I couldn’t believe how much they have changed since they were candled on day 4. Only my first time hatching and I’m already hooked ☺️☺️ This egg I know for sure is from our light Brahma. The rest are all dark brahmas.

Attachments

• 0E5421C4-CE74-45A7-95AD-2E5C77B61881.jpeg
    0E5421C4-CE74-45A7-95AD-2E5C77B61881.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4
I feel zen right now...could be the red wine. I gave the 4 eggs that are on day 11 to a broody hen, AC all she wants to do is sit, I let her have ceramic eggs forever, now she has the real thing. She is not the best mother, but she has hatched chicks...
ayaa.PNG
browa.PNG

I wasn't doing backflips over brown eggs. So meh.
I put the below eggs in the incubator the other eggs were in, I didn't wash the incubator first, but the above egg never leaked or anything, so I hope it is okay, I put distilled water in incubator wells and pennies in wells dated before 1982
aaq.PNG

I am more excited about these... EE and I have hatched the small tan eggs from this gal before, they are very sweet birds. One egg not shown is a white spitz mix, They are all mixes. They used to have 3 roosters, I hear they have only one currently, so I hope I have fertile eggs.

I feel zen right now...could be the red wine. I gave the 4 eggs that are on day 11 to a broody hen, AC all she wants to do is sit, I let her have ceramic eggs forever, now she has the real thing. She is not the best mother, but she has hatched chicks...
View attachment 2561632View attachment 2561617
I wasn't doing backflips over brown eggs. So meh.
I put the below eggs in the incubator the other eggs were in, I didn't wash the incubator first, but the above egg never leaked or anything, so I hope it is okay, I put distilled water in incubator wells and pennies in wells dated before 1982
View attachment 2561624

I am more excited about these... EE and I have hatched the small tan eggs from this gal before, they are very sweet birds. One egg not shown is a white spitz mix, They are all mixes. They used to have 3 roosters, I hear they have only one currently, so I hope I have fertile eggs.
Ok question. What are the pennies for? Never heard of that? Also good luck with the momma.

yes have tried that but she won’t yet drink or eat. She is perking up a bit as she gets warmer though. I found she has pasty butt, possibly from being too cold. I check the chicks daily and her butt was fine yesterday. I’ve cleaned her up and popped her in the incubator (dropped temp so suitable for her), I’ve put some water and food in there and I’m hoping she’ll perk up some more. Before I popped her in I dipped her beak in water but she won’t open her mouth to swallow any.
I then checked all the other chicks butts and everyone else is fine.
If it is not too late, you can try giving the chick some egg yolk mixed with a little water. Drip it on the side of the mouth, it takes a while, but you may be able to get some in that way.

If it is not too late, you can try giving the chick some egg yolk mixed with a little water. Drip it on the side of the mouth, it takes a while, but you may be able to get some in that way.
I managed to get her to drink little sips of water that had vitamins and sugar in it. I thought she might make it. I was giving her this mixture every 30 minutes . However, she reached a point where she couldn’t control her neck and kept flipping onto her back - I haven’t seen wry neck before but I’m wondering if she developed that. In any case, 5 minutes after that symptom started, Ivory passed away.
Ivory was an assisted hatch who never thrived and I feel like maybe there was something else wrong with her that prevented her from hatching on her own as I think the pasty butt was a secondary issue and not the reason she was so weak - I’d been helping her for days, showing her over and over again where the water, feed and warmth was. I tried to feed her watery egg yolk yesterday but she refused it.
I still have 11 healthy chicks. My last 2 eggs didn’t hatch. When I candled them (before putting Ivory in the incubator to keep her warm) there was no movement and no visible veins. It’s day 24 so I made the decision they weren’t going to hatch and turned the incubator down to a comfortable heat for Ivory.

Back
Top Bottom