MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
I picked up the doublemint twins to go with the chick I hatched. A lady in a near by town just hatched them yesterday, so they are St. patty chicks. Delawares.
cricb.PNG

Katydid, Meadow (meadow grass hopper) and cricket.
Laying down under light.
cricc.PNG

Since I was in town I picked up these eggs from the fridge, at the health food store, they are diff farm eggs than the ones I just tried hatching from. The farm is one mile from my house. They used to sell eggs, then took a break. I am going to candle them and also call and ask if they are fertile. I could have gone and picked them up, fresh I suppose, I like to hatch fridge chicks I guess.
criaa.PNG

I picked up the doublemint twins to go with the chick I hatched. A lady in a near by town just hatched them yesterday, so they are St. patty chicks. Delawares. View attachment 2575518
Katydid, Meadow (meadow grass hopper) and cricket.
Laying down under light.
View attachment 2575522

Since I was in town I picked up these eggs from the fridge, at the health food store, they are diff farm eggs than the ones I just tried hatching from. The farm is one mile from my house. They used to sell eggs, then took a break. I am going to candle them and also call and ask if they are fertile. I could have gone and picked them up, fresh I suppose, I like to hatch fridge chicks I guess.View attachment 2575529
Those chicks are adorable!!

criaa.PNG

I tried calling the farm, no one answered, I sent an email. about the rooster, it looks like they are fertile though. I didn't see any cracks, though 2 looked like they may have had cracks and repaired themselves. I looked at them pretty close I don't think they will be problems. Some of the air cells looked bigger than I want, but I am going to set all and hope for the best. They will go in incubator tomorrow AM (a warm up incubator) Then they will go in with my 3 from a diff farm (fridge hatch currently on day 10.) egg cost 7.5 a carton.

I had 2 eggs left after day 21.

Day 22 today & one hatched. The other isn’t even pipped sooo it get 1 more day then I’ll investigate!

Ended up putting 1 chick out of its misery. It’s the one I assisted. It clearly was not meant to be as it was humpbacked & limpy. The others picked on it & it just looked poorly. I couldn’t take watching it so it got dispatched.

I also gave a scissor beak with a weird head that also walks on its curled in toes on 1 foot. Funny thing is that one came out of the egg on its own, gets around great & tries to eat (though I’m unsure if it’s getting any). It’s super lively so I haven’t dispatched it though I have a feeling it may come to it.

I’ll try & get pics of it to show you tomorrow.

I had a chick that was hunchbacked-limpy, I kept him separate until the next hatch one week later. He didn't have to keep up with the more active chicks and as the new hatchers were getting their sea legs, so was he. He ended up curing himself. Quazzy-
View attachment 2575726

How bad was he as a day old? This one couldn’t stand for any period of time really & when it did it was a C shape. The side of its head was touching it’s wing area. It wasn’t eating either.

I have my first pip on day 20 !!
I am mad because I have to go to work. There is no way I can call out today. You can bet I am going to get my work done fast and leave early. This is very exciting as it is my first hatch and from my flock!!

B30AFC3B-BDD4-4EBB-9FFE-BEB061C5D5B9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom