MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Today begins day 22, 13 hatched, only one left. I candled it to see if it's still alive: it moves like it's breathing and the air cell has something like a bump, but I'm not sure if it's the beak (so an internal pip) or just the chick pressing against the air cell 🤔
IMG_20210331_175310.jpg

Lost 2 quail chicks last night - the one with curled toes and another smaller one. I also have 2 that hopped up on the dome of the heat plate, slid down, and got stuck on their backs between the heat plate and the brooder wall. I got them flipped back over and under the heat plate. Hopefully they will find their legs again. I also moved the heat plate away from the brooder wall. This is the first that something like this has happened to me.

My 3 from the eggs below. they are about 3/4 days old...I am thinking the dad must be a silky.
33.PNG
3 o.PNG

Below are 3 chicks. One (black) is related to the above chicks and hatched from the same fridge-farm eggs. 2 blonde ones are delaware's from a diff farm. (about 2 weeks old.)
From an even diff farm yet I am waiting on 9 fridge eggs. due april 10th
33a.PNG

Last edited:
Today begins day 22, 13 hatched, only one left. I candled it to see if it's still alive: it moves like it's breathing and the air cell has something like a bump, but I'm not sure if it's the beak (so an internal pip) or just the chick pressing against the air cell 🤔
View attachment 2594292
Hi Skyle how is your one left egg doing? Did the little one manage to pip? Fingers crossed for your still-in-egg-baby :fl❤️💪

😍Aaaaaw look at them - gorgeous!

Lost 2 quail chicks last night - the one with curled toes and another smaller one. I also have 2 that hopped up on the dome of the heat plate, slid down, and got stuck on their backs between the heat plate and the brooder wall. I got them flipped back over and under the heat plate. Hopefully they will find their legs again. I also moved the heat plate away from the brooder wall. This is the first that something like this has happened to me.
I hope you feel better!
I'm so sorry you lost two quail babies :hugs How are the two little ones who got stuck doing? I hope they recover well 🙏

My 3 from the eggs below. they are about 3/4 days old...I am thinking the dad must be a silky.
View attachment 2595267View attachment 2595269

Below are 3 chicks. One (black) is related to the above chicks and hatched from the same fridge-farm eggs. 2 blonde ones are delaware's from a diff farm. (about 2 weeks old.)
From an even diff farm yet I am waiting on 9 fridge eggs. due april 10thView attachment 2595273
They are all such beautiful cuties :love

Last edited:
Today is Day 19. I almost forgot to put the Easter eggs in lockdown last night... Just got busy.

Anyway, I'm about to go outside for some fresh air and glanced at the incubator as I was putting on my shoes.

Well color me surprised! I have a pip on one of the Andalusian eggs! 😍 Looks like I'm going to have an early bird.... 😂
Here kind of a similar situation - early bird alert!
This morning (day 20) 6 am I discovered totally unexpectedly the first external pip (bantam silkies)! I was kind of shocked 😅 Raised humidity immediately. Saw several times a tiny grey beak doing eating motions; little one talked a lot, too ❤️ Then 9:30 am second external pip of a neighbor egg! And now I just went upstairs to fetch the camera to be able to post here pictures and discovered third external pip, 11:10 am, neighbor egg!
Little one in first egg chirps every time I put the light on and talk 🥰

First egg:

RIMG1289.JPG

Now three external pips:

RIMG1292.JPG

Hi Skyle how is your one left egg doing? Did the little one manage to pip? Fingers crossed for your still-in-egg-baby :fl❤️💪

😍Aaaaaw look at them - gorgeous!
He never pipped, so yesterday (more than 24h after all the others have hatched) I decided to open a hole in the air cell to try to see what was happening in there (I was sure he wouldn't make it, so trying something wouldn't hurt). I then left him in the incubator with high humidity all the day hoping he would come out by himself. Right before I was going to go to bed he began chirping a lot so I decided to peel a little more of egg and I realized he positioned the legs in the wrong way, so his head and the wing were stuck under them. I peeled a bit more of shell and left him all the night, always hoping he would come out by himself. This morning as I woke up he began chirping loudly me, then he was trying to push with the legs, but couldn't put strenght on the internal part of the egg because they were malpositioned, so I freed him a bit more and he got out.
His feet were a bit curled so I made little shoes for him and now I just putted him in the brooder with his siblings. I still don't know how it's going to end up with him, but he looks quite strong even if tired from the hatch.
IMG_20210402_143103.jpg
IMG_20210402_143132.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't get good photos and I have to refinite better these shoes, but I don't want to stress him too much.

IMG_20210401_210649.jpg

All the 13 others, passed the always-sleeping period, are very active, playful and healthy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom