Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
I sent a PM last evening, so hopefully this is OK to post. I'm a bit late joining here but currently have 6 shipped in Sizzle Eggs (2 possible Showgirl Sizzle) on day 17 of incubation. Additional information/photos on my blog.

Wishing a successful hatch to all!

Kelly

Last edited:
All of my clears and quitters go to the pigs (and they've gotten A LOT of them lately, with my flocks fertility issues and all). They love them, and I like not wasting them. I hate to throw out any food that can be used for something around here.

Anyway, I just moved 8 Silkie/Sizzle eggs over to the hatcher. I was supposed to do it yesterday, but I've been working a really wonky work schedule, so I lost track of time. I looked at my calendar last night and was like :eek: So, I plugged the hatcher in last night and made my final adjustments when I woke up this morning. I only have 2 left in the other incubator. Hopefully my roos will get into the swing of things and get their jobs done soon. I also have a broody sitting on who knows what. I plan to go out and candle them tonight when I get off work, marking the eggs that are close to each other in development and tossing the rest. She's in everyone's favorite nest box, so I'm sure she's collected quite a few at this point.
Good luck everyone, and loving all of the new chick pics :love

I sent the PM to join, so hopefully I did that right. I have 36 eggs that were shipped to me last week waiting on a late arrival that should come tomorrow or Thursday and then they will all go in the incubator! I have 14 dorking eggs, 10 cochin eggs, and 12 easter egger eggs and am waiting on "12+" more dorking eggs from a different breeder. My incubator holds 48 so I may have a few stackers the first week. Either that or I will toss the funkiest looking eggs. My first attempt at incubating failed miserably, zero development from shipped eggs, not a single one developed. I definitely don't need 48 chickens, more like 5, but after my first experience I went a little nuts with bigger and better determination. I know the delay will reduce my hatch rate but my main goal was having two lines of dorking so i waited, as long as I get one out of the first batch and then one of the opposite sex out of the second batch I will be happy :) And hopefully one cochin hen to go broody for me and one easter egger to give me some pretty colors, either that or I will be selling lots of chicks! I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I am SO anxious to set my eggs and get to that first candling to see where things really stand. Good luck all!

Up to 5 out now! And I was bad and moved 3 over to the brooder to make more room in the mini. But the humidity and temp bounced right back so hopefully no harm no foul. 3 boys and 2 girls so far in the new batch. Not much action on the other 3 eggs yet but I'm trying not to obsess. They're only 'due' this afternoon/evening.
yippiechickie.gif

Day 2: Incubator is holding steady at around 100F.

In case I have not mentioned my set up yet, I have a Little giant still air incubator, a LG auto turner, and a brinsea spot check thermometer (which I love). I keep my incubator wrapped in a blanket and I have a pillow which I keep on top. If the temp gets too warm, I take off the pillow and blanket, and if it gets to low, I can put them back on again. That way I can control the temp (to a certain extant) with out touching the incubators controls (sort of like sand bags to control the height of a hot air balloon). My incubator holds 41 eggs, but I like to only set 40 at a time, so I have an open stop in case I need to add more water.

Up to 5 out now! And I was bad and moved 3 over to the brooder to make more room in the mini. But the humidity and temp bounced right back so hopefully no harm no foul. 3 boys and 2 girls so far in the new batch. Not much action on the other 3 eggs yet but I'm trying not to obsess. They're only 'due' this afternoon/evening.
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom