March Hatch-A-Long

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
Do you think this will be a problem with the open sides and the heat coming from the fan above?
To be honest I don’t know. You are on day 19? Have they been set up this the whole time? Or in a turner? If so you can can let me know when they hatch. I was going to put a solid shelf liner in mine but didn’t because I was worried about cold spots. It might not be a big deal if you consider that the hen sits onthe egg and really is only warming the top sides .

I hope someone who knows more than me can chime in.

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
We have more pips! I removed some of the shell of the one that pipped yesterday so I could check the inner membrane. It did look quite tight, I have made it a bit damp again with some warm water but not tried helping the chick break through. I'm not sure where its beak is anymore. So hard to know when I am helping and when I am potentially making it worse! Next hatch are going in lockdown and thats it, no opening at all for 3 or 4 days!
Did your chick make it out?

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
Yay!

Chicks are so hard to stop watching. My husband says “ Are you playing with the chicks again?”.

Counting my two that I “think” are DIS I have 8 go. Since now I have room I stuck some silkies and silkies crosses in for the Easter Egg Hatch. Not sure what I’m thinking? I’m also testing a EE’s egg. I don’t think hers are fertile because she doesn’t like the boys.

notasilkie

Songster
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
Yay!

Chicks are so hard to stop watching. My husband says “ Are you playing with the chicks again?”.

Counting my two that I “think” are DIS I have 8 go. Since now I have room I stuck some silkies and silkies crosses in for the Easter Egg Hatch. Not sure what I’m thinking? I’m also testing a EE’s egg. I don’t think hers are fertile because she doesn’t like the boys.
I keep putting eggs in from my silkie trio but none fertile so far! My rooster had a mini me last year but a fox got the baby and mother/ adoptive mother. :( the hens with him are gorgeous and he is quite a nice boy.

My partner is learning to like the chicks, still not at my level of obsessed :p

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
It's officially past their hatch date by three hours. I know that's not a big deal, but my last batch had signs of life by now. These little guys want to stay in their eggs it seems. Fingers crossed the three I have in there will make it!
Crossing fingers for you. The waiting is so hard. I have 7 just sitting there due date today and no tapping yet.

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
:oops:Well I guess I’m really bad with the whole lockdown thing.

My other chick that is tapping hasn’t come out. It seemed to me to be in the air cell (could see shadow) and it seemed to be gasping. So I opened it up :idunno. Just a little to let in air.

I put it back and a few hours later still no progress...lots of tapping. So I opened it up a bit more. Too see it’s not a head in the air cell at all..it’s a rear.

At this point I opened it up a little more in the air cell to put coconut oil on the membrane. I told my self “ walk away ..walk away” . So I did . I will give it a bit longer but not sure how much air it’s getting but I can’t see where the beak is ( shell is too dark)..

Latest posts

Top Bottom