Mareks Disease Query

lorric372

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
Arley, Warwickshire
Hi all.
I lost my lad Snowy almost a month ago, and have found out today he had Mareks disease. I have 4 remaining chickens now, all hens, and they are all healthy (currently going through moult!). Two of the hens are vaccinated, the younger two I've found today are not - they came from my neighbour along with Snowy.
Am I right in thinking they'd have shown symptoms by now if they had it, but are all now carriers? Is there anything I need to do? Does anyone have any experience of hens living after one of a flock dying from Mareks?
Thanks all.

If you are positive about the diagnosis (how does the neighbor know?) then yes, your birds and their environment all carry Marek's disease. Some birds, especially your vaccinated birds, will do fine, and others won't. it can be months, at least for any to show up with the tumors that cause death.
Make sure that you have your flock isolated, practice good biosecurity so you aren't spreading this to others.
And only get vaccinated chicks in the future, and raise them for two to three weeks away from exposure to your property.
Mary

If you are positive about the diagnosis (how does the neighbor know?) then yes, your birds and their environment all carry Marek's disease. Some birds, especially your vaccinated birds, will do fine, and others won't. it can be months, at least for any to show up with the tumors that cause death.
Make sure that you have your flock isolated, practice good biosecurity so you aren't spreading this to others.
And only get vaccinated chicks in the future, and raise them for two to three weeks away from exposure to your property.
Mary
Well I'll never know for certain, but having spoken to the vet who treated him and evaluating his symptoms with hindsight we are confident this is what he suffered from.
Yep, my bad with the unvaccinated chickens. Biosecurity is good in my run but will re-evaluate that too. Thanks!

Maybe, maybe not. Your vaccinated birds especially may do fine. If you breed them, expect deaths, although some may live in spite of it. Personally, I wouldn't breed this group.
This is a bitter lesson in the failed biosecurity, so sorry.
New chicks, vaccinated at the hatchery, and ISOLATED away from your flock and premises, will have a very good chance to do well.
The virus lives at least a year in dust, feathers, and dander, so your property is contaminated.
Mary

Your hatchery vaccinated birds may be alright. I can't say that you won't though. Marek's is a horrible virus. I'm so sorry.
It is. Watching Snowy lose the use of his wings and legs and go downhill the way he did broke me, I did what I could initially but we had him PTS when he just kept going down hill. I will keep a close eye on the girls and any symptoms will be reviewed a lot quicker. Gutted :(

Maybe, maybe not. Your vaccinated birds especially may do fine. If you breed them, expect deaths, although some may live in spite of it. Personally, I wouldn't breed this group.
This is a bitter lesson in the failed biosecurity, so sorry.
New chicks, vaccinated at the hatchery, and ISOLATED away from your flock and premises, will have a very good chance to do well.
The virus lives at least a year in dust, feathers, and dander, so your property is contaminated.
Mary
None of these will be bred from, I enjoy their company and eggs but chicks are hard work. Its a true shame, I'll keep a hard eye on them and hope for the best. :(

Back
Top Bottom