Dying birds

Spurrberry

Hatching
Jul 17, 2023
Hello again. I have had two white silkie hens die recently. One a few days ago, and one today. I also had another hen that I believe to have had mareks. The silkies were healthy until they weren’t. Suddenly having seizures and neurological issues. All their symptoms had pointed to a vitamin E deficiency, although they had been getting vitamin supplements. I also question if it is just another problem with mareks disease. Both silkies were a bit over one year old. I’m looking into treatment to prevent mareks, but I’m not sure this was the issue for our two silkies, as their symptoms presented differently than mareks in our larger hen and a younger silkie previously. I should also add they have a lice problem being treated. They all free range on a small property also, they aren’t in the coop often. Ducks and turkeys live with them.

What is their diet? What vitamins do they get? They need strong doses of B vitamins.
Unfortunately, there are no treatments to prevents Mareks, even the vaccine only prevents the tumors and doesn't prevent the disease or transferring the disease to other birds.
How did you treat the lice?

What is their diet? What vitamins do they get? They need strong doses of B vitamins.
Unfortunately, there are no treatments to prevents Mareks, even the vaccine only prevents the tumors and doesn't prevent the disease or transferring the disease to other birds.
How did you treat the lice?
They are getting purina 16% protein layer feed. I supplement vitamins with a crumble feed and vegetable scraps. Lice is being treated with a spray used directly on the birds and coop.

They are getting purina 16% protein layer feed. I supplement vitamins with a crumble feed and vegetable scraps. Lice is being treated with a spray used directly on the birds and coop.
Depending on the kind of active agent, one can easily overdose with antiparasitic treatment as some accumulate in the birds brain leading to neurological damage and even death.
Silkies as especially sensitive.

Depending on the kind of active agent, one can easily overdose with antiparasitic treatment as some accumulate in the birds brain leading to neurological damage and even death.
Silkies as especially sensitive.
Thank you, I will look into that. The product is Mannapro Poultry protector and everything I have read about it seems safe. The silkies have almost exclusively been the only birds in my flock having problems.

Did they feel very skinny? Did you ever weigh them or trimmed back their head fluff to allow for unobstructed view?

Silkie crests tend to overgrow and cover their eyes leaving them unable to feed themselves properly. Sometimes they starve to death.

Back
Top Bottom