I think I would consider getting vaccinated chicks from a hatchery and research what vaccine they do - hopefully one with the broadest spectrum of virus variants. Then keep the chicks separate for at least several weeks for the vaccine to fully kick in and during that time checker clothes and all that to reduce spread of dander.

I notice that McMurray Hatchery sells 4 week old chicks, and the breed descriptions state that the chicks ARE vaccinated for Mareks. Because they are already 4 weeks old when they are shipped, there would be no worries about them getting Mareks before the vaccine can fully kick in.

I haven't looked for other hatcheries selling started chicks, but there might well be others. Of course it would be important to read the descriptions carefully, to make sure the ones you want are vaccinated for the right disease.

A disadvantage is that older chicks cost more than day-old chicks, and shipping them costs a LOT more. So it's one possible choice, but I have no idea what is the best choice in this case.

I notice that McMurray Hatchery sells 4 week old chicks, and the breed descriptions state that the chicks ARE vaccinated for Mareks. Because they are already 4 weeks old when they are shipped, there would be no worries about them getting Mareks before the vaccine can fully kick in.

I haven't looked for other hatcheries selling started chicks, but there might well be others. Of course it would be important to read the descriptions carefully, to make sure the ones you want are vaccinated for the right disease.

A disadvantage is that older chicks cost more than day-old chicks, and shipping them costs a LOT more. So it's one possible choice, but I have no idea what is the best choice in this case.
Thank you so much @NatJ for this information about McMurray Hatchery. Getting 4-week old chicks sounds like it might be a good option fo me.

I notice that McMurray Hatchery sells 4 week old chicks, and the breed descriptions state that the chicks ARE vaccinated for Mareks.
Oh that’s a good point! Didn’t even think of that. The only other thing that you might want to think about, is just asking them about their vaccine. I know I read some vaccines cover more strains than others (definitely more than the one regular people can buy, which is just the turkey Marek’s). I would think the more coverage the better chances!

I did order from McMurray last year and have an order in this year (vaccinated!) and am pleased with quality and service. They also offer the vaccine for Coccidiosis that you may want to consider - not sure if the older chicks are already.

Oh that’s a good point! Didn’t even think of that. The only other thing that you might want to think about, is just asking them about their vaccine. I know I read some vaccines cover more strains than others (definitely more than the one regular people can buy, which is just the turkey Marek’s). I would think the more coverage the better chances!

I did order from McMurray last year and have an order in this year (vaccinated!) and am pleased with quality and service. They also offer the vaccine for Coccidiosis that you may want to consider - not sure if the older chicks are already.
Thank you @ladybrasa. I'm so glad to hear you have been pleased with McMurray's. After losing close to half of the chickens I've had to Marek's I know it's on my property and feel vaccinating any new chickens I add to my flock is necessary. And McMurray's is about a 3 hour drive so I could always take a day trip to pick them up.

Keep them as far away from each other and feed them medicated feed. I feed all my young gamefowl and RIR chick's medicated starter. No issues. However if you feel the need to do the vaccination do so. Especially if you have for sure lost birds to it

Keep them as far away from each other and feed them medicated feed. I feed all my young gamefowl and RIR chick's medicated starter. No issues. However if you feel the need to do the vaccination do so. Especially if you have for sure lost birds to i
Thank you @Jp617. Since all five of my chickens that died had symptoms of Marek's and the two necropsies indicated it as well, I know I have it here.

Back
Top Bottom