Mareks

Ximena

Chirping
May 14, 2016
Hi I just had a hen die from mareks, she was around 9 months now I'm worried about the other chickens. It is a small flock of only 5 other birds, 3 of them are her age, 9 months, the other 2 are two years old, none of them are vaccinated but they're all healthy. I know they have all been exposed to mareks but what the chance of them getting/dying from it? Is there anything I can to strengthen their immune system? I live in North Carolina if that means anything.
Thanks

I imagine you'll be in a wait and see holding pattern for a while. Nothing really to do as far as strengthening immune systems vs mareks. Some chickens will beat it, many more will succumb to it. Plenty of ventilation, as it's allegedly spread through infected chicken dander. It wouldn't hurt to clean out the coop, but frankly, it probably wouldn't help either. If you have to rebuild your flock - I'd definitely add the vaccination (I vaccinate everything these days. If I order chicks, they get the vaccination at the hatchery or at the moment they arrive).

Can they get sick all of the sudden? Will they all get sick? Also what can I do to strengthen the their immune systems?

They can get sick all of a sudden. Often is staggers through the flock taking a bird or two at a time until there are none left to take. Nothing you can do to strengthen their immune system v Mareks outside of the initial vaccination. Some people try to 'breed for resistance' but that won't help your current flock - they'll either survive it or they won't. Although Marek's is a virus, it's not much of a stretch to think of it as a quick moving cancer (one that's unfortunately highly contagious).

If you have a hen (or hens) that make it through it, they may be good building blocks of breeding for resistance. Difficult to tell there however, if they survived it or somehow avoided exposure but it's something to start with if you have any that make it through your ordeal...

So there's a high chance that it's going to kill most of the birds if not all?

Yes, and your flock can catch it from another flock that's miles away due to wind carrying the disease. The best thing is to vaccinate all birds before five months of age.

Ok, am I lame. I have no idea what Marek's is yet I see vaccination for it. What are the signs/causes of Marek's disease?

We just had 2 out of 15 die from Marek's. I am so sad and terrified of losing the rest. With all the research, I know there is nothing I can do but hope. So sad!

I just euthanized a pullet who tested positive for Marek's. So far my flock seems ok. I see up there that you can vaccinate up to 5 months old? I was under the impression you could only vaccinate within the first 36 hours after hatching. Please advise on this late vaccination. I have two little ones that are super sweet.

Back
Top Bottom