maremma sheepdogs

I live in rural Italy where the Maremma is the dog of choice for farmers (it's Le Marche which is the region next to Abruzzo from where the Maremma originally came). I see them at work every day and know a lot of the farmers who use them as working dogs - usually to protect sheep and goats. I can honestly say that none of them are bothered about the breed standard, as long as the dog has the right temperament - i.e. will guard that flock to the death if necessary.

They generally have two dogs for each flock. Their thinking is that, if there's an attack by a large predator (wolves and bears both still exist in Abruzzo) two dogs have more chance of winning an argument than one!
smile.png

Here's a pic of a couple of locals!

maremma-dogs-large.jpg

Last edited:
A smaller, more agile dog, used to more movement is going to be a better match for a wolf than a huge 130lb dog that isn't in as good of shape because it lays around most of the day or stands around, just watching

Once again I think you're showing you have no real experience with Maremmas, since none of my dogs are "out of shape" just because they are large.

They don't just "lay around all day" either, at least no more than any other breed, which is why I won't sell a dog to anyone with less than three acres for them to run

BrandyBelleLambsFeb2008021.jpg

Oh good grief
lol.png
I'm not speaking of YOUR dogs in particular. Just what I know of the LDG I have seen (yep in real life with my own eyes). What I see them doing is laying around in the pasture with their herd/flock of whatever animal. They'll get up and charge the fence every once in a while or come to the gates if there's a car, but that's about it. No finger pointing to your particular dogs at all.

Quote:
Have to back Jamie on this one. We have a 150 lb GP. He's had knee problems, but still runs up and down the fence line. Thing is, if he was attacked by wolves, I don't think I'd bet on his physical ability to kill them. His heart would be in it, but when he plays with our other dogs, he just doesn't maneuver like my others. He runs around on 2 acres. His parents worked a 1500 acre sheep ranch. I will say, he is an excellent "deterrent", though!

Actually, most canines spend the majority of their day resting or sleeping as do felines.

After editing this twice I realized something. I am just going to bow out of this conversation. It's getting no-where. There are obvious points being made, some intelligent and some are just argumentative. I don't want to be argumentative and I feel like I am not effectively communicating. Have fun. And when this gets resolved maybe I'll check in and start another argument, I mean discussion.
tongue.png
and this is all in fun.
lol.png

Last edited:
Oh good grief I'm not speaking of YOUR dogs in particular. Just what I know of the LDG I have seen (yep in real life with my own eyes). What I see them doing is laying around in the pasture with their herd/flock of whatever animal.

Isn't that what you see most all dogs doing most of the time?

They run around a while, then they lay down, then they sleep.

It's what dogs do.

How many have you actually SEEN fighting?

We have a 150 lb GP. He's had knee problems, but still runs up and down the fence line. Thing is, if he was attacked by wolves, I don't think I'd bet on his physical ability to kill them.

That's a health issue, not a size issue.​

From what I have seen, most (or at least many) LGDs sort of act nocturnal so we really don't know how much they are up and around at night. I know my two boys sure are more active at night. They sleep so hard you'd swear they are dead during the day, but at night they are awake and on full alert. So you might get the impression by seeing these two pups snoozing in the mid-day sun that they are lazy and laid back but at night they do come alive. Predators are on the move more at night than during the day so it makes sense for them to be more watchful at night.

Back
Top Bottom