Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

Pics
How long does it take you to refill all their waterers in the winter?
I’m in West Virginia, we do get below freezing many nights, so I have heated chicken waterers, and one 5-gallon duck waterer on a heat plate. Then I have a bunch of quart waterers all over the place, and tubs/totes of water for the ducks. I don’t change them all daily in the winter. Would take at least an hour, I’d say. I have a sink out by my pens, but the water hoses to get there are on top the ground, so I have to disconnect it all in winter. I carry buckets of water out, PITA! So I usually just do a few of the totes for them to have fresh. Plus it takes quite a few days for the big pool to freeze over. I only empty it like once a month, 300 gallons, I coordinate it with a rain, my gutters fill it.
Normal day takes about 30 minutes to feed all my birds, I try to fill waterers in the evenings, that’s about another 30 minutes a day.

Female call ducks are most assuredly louder than chickens! Males talk just as much as the females, they just have a low, raspy voice instead of a loud QUACK QUACK QUACK so they aren't as noticeable.
I agree, definitely louder. But I find that they don’t talk nearly as often as my big ducks did. So the majority of the day is very quiet. They do yell for me in the evening for their treats though!
Female ducks in general are LOUD. VERY LOUD! One of the reasons I love my Muscovy so much (apart from all the other great things about them!).

I need miniature Muscovy, lol!
I’d love a mini Muscovy!! I wish someone would find a way to breed them down in size. But muscovies bred to mallard-derived ducks, the offspring aren’t fertile (not sure if it’s 100% or if there are rare occasions of being fertile) so I don’t know how else they could be downsized!

DSCN2293.JPG

This is a call duck that was given to me after being bitten by a raccoon. This is the day after I brought him home in 2017.

I agree, definitely louder. But I find that they don’t talk nearly as often as my big ducks did. So the majority of the day is very quiet. They do yell for me in the evening for their treats though!

I've never had any other kind of duck, but I have noticed that Crash is kind of seasonal with her noisiness. I'm more likely to hear her set off randomly in the fall and spring when the wild ducks are migrating than in summer or winter. She does gets mouthy any time of year if I'm a bit late to get out there and serve her her breakfast in the morning, though. 🤭

Back
Top Bottom