Marking baby chicks

My toe punched chicks are getting big and the holes are breaking apart. (I bought them toe punched already.) This cant be good for their feet...I am not happy with it.

What about nail polish?

I have had really good luck using food coloring from the grocery store. A little goes a long way though. It goes away in a few weeks and there is usually no need to reapply.

Some of the hatcheries put a colored dot on their heads with a sharpie. It stayed on mine until the down on their heads fell out to be replaced by feathers. Since the head is typically the last part to get feathers, it stays on them for a while. I got a couple of batches that were marked this way and it didn't cause them any problems. Maybe you could just avoid red and similar colors so they won't be as tempted to peck at each other.

I have always toe punched as does every serious breeder I know of. There is rarely any blood & when there is certainly nothing that requires blood stop powder. It does not adversely affect their feet at all. It's permenant & does not require ant future attention.
Those who have stated so emphatically that it hurts-how do you know that? Also if you'd ever seen a toe punch you'd be aware that there is no possible way you could "punch off a toe"" with one.

Back
Top Bottom