Marking Eggs

I've used either a pencil or a Sharpie. Neither hold up spectacularly well to handling for candling or turning, but definitely better than any of the non-permanent markers.

I remember a while back someone posted a question about whether the Sharpie would leach through the egg and harm the developing chick. In response, someone else posted a photo of a just hatched egg shell that had been marked with a Sharpie, and you could clearly see that none of the ink had even remotely reached the inside of the shell.

Quote:
lol~Darn, I was so hoping the peeps were going to come out with smiley faces on them too!
smile.png

for me--smiley face on egg equals--fertile and movin around in there!
I use a sharpie....

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Can i ask what a bloodring is? I have a broody hen and if my guess is accurate it shows like a ring of red around the embryo? Am I right or am I way off base here? my girl has 8 eggs under her. 5 show the veining and 2 are supposed to hatch next thursday. The remaining are supposed to hatch the 16th. The reason I am so far apart, the other girls got into the nest and I thought destroyed all of the original eggs. I was wrong and I added a few more thinking she would have 6 under her. Then these appear and show definite signs of life.

Oh I use a Sharpie also. Never thought that it would be toxic to babies. I feel like a terrible chicken mommy:-((

This site should help on showing blood rings.

Candling Analysis – Cal Davis
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs32.htm

Next time you are going to use an egg, take a sharpie and mark all over the shell. Let it dry, which only takes a few seconds. When you break the egg open, look for the markings on the inside of the shell. This might help you decide if a sharpie is dangerous to an embryo.

The issue with the Sharpies would not be the pigments used but the solvents that carry them. The pigments don't seem to penetrate the shell/membrane. The solvents on the other hand very well might and they are not something you can see.

Now, whether they would present a hazard to the embryo within I cannot say. The available evidence seen thus far would seem to indicate that they do not.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom