1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

marmite on toast!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mike kirby, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    i was talking to a friend recently n he said that his grandad used to feed chickens marmite on toast or bread because it is high in vitamin b!!! does anyone else do this?? and does any1 feed their chucks any strange things!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, first, I had to look it up to see what the heck it was! Are you by chance not in the United States, LOL?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL. Yeah. I had to look it up too... and came across a very weird site... still.. what is it exactally?

Edit: Google define: Marmite is a dark-brown coloured savoury spread made from the yeast extract a by-product of the brewing industry. It has a strong, slightly salty flavour. You either "love it or hate it". Can be eaten spread thinly on toast.

Uh... wonder if I'd like it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  4. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    im from england!!!
    marmite is ....... welll....... disgustin!!! its a spread that you put on toast or bead!! it smells n makes your breathe smell!!! but is apparently a high source of vitamin b!!! cant believe you have never herd of it!! it was a big thing at one point in england!!

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'd heard of it, but have never seen it in stores, let alone tasted it.
    Marmite isn't in your basic U.S. food market aisle. Kind of like vegemite from Australia.

Sounds like an aquired taste anyway! [​IMG]

6. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Most disgusting tasting stuff known to mankind! I got to try some when I was in the Navy and we made a stop in Australia. Took at least a six-pack of beer to get that taste out of my mouth (unfortunately all the beer the rest of the night didn't help me forget that nasty taste!). I suppose it's an acquired taste, but if the chicks/chickens will eat it, I don't see what would be wrong with giving them any as a treat since as the OP says it *is* good for you.

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never seen Marmite for sale here. I don't mind the taste too much but I'd be hesitant to give it to my chickens b/c it tastes like it's 90% salt. Maybe I' give 'em Nutella instead.[​IMG]

8. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    A British relative of mine survived prisoner of war camp in WW2 because, he claimed, he had a jar of marmite in his pocket that he slowly ate. It is, apparently, very high in B vitamins.

(or as the British would say: "vittamins"!)

I think it tastes TERRIBLE, but it is an aquired taste!

9. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i tryed it in 3 or 4th grade when we got a new teacher that was from Australia. it was gross lol.
    maybe it was vegemite
    well it had a mite in it.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

And you know, us chicken people get crazy at the word "MITE", LOL! Dont want those mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by